Slight wheel bulge?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When spinning the real wheel on my road bike I notice a slight bulge, as in the tyre/wheel doesnt seem to be perfectly circular. I deflated, checked and reinstalled the inner tube and tyre to ensure it was seated as well as possible too. Given the age of my bike (about 4 years) I put it down to deformation of the wheel due to hitting bumps over the years. The deformation is only slight and dont feel anything while riding but is it something that needs to be sorted quickly or would you consider it a minor flaw?

format

Über Member
Are you sure the inner tube is properly aligned with the tire?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Some tyres get through with a flaw in them - if it's ony minor I wouldn't worry.

I have a Michelin Pro on my turbo wheel that goes "out" by about 3mm which is way too much for the road.

Chris S

Legendary Member
RE: "I notice a slight bulge, as in the tyre/wheel doesnt seem to be perfectly circular."

Spin the wheel around and compare the top or bottom of the rim against one of the brake shoes. If the difference is the same all the way around then the tyre is at fault.

If it isn't then the wheel probably needs truing.

OP
OP
U

User16625

RE: "I notice a slight bulge, as in the tyre/wheel doesnt seem to be perfectly circular."

Spin the wheel around and compare the top or bottom of the rim against one of the brake shoes. If the difference is the same all the way around then the tyre is at fault.

If it isn't then the wheel probably needs truing.

Thats what it is then. There is some side to side movement when I spin the wheel but I didnt think it would affect the circular shape in anyway.

Top Bottom