Slightly in love with the new pedals.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stevec047

Über Member
20160203_190745.jpg
20160203_185644.jpg
So last weekend after some very helpful advice from you guys I went to get my new Shimano a530 spd pedals fitted at Evans.

All fitted I decided to get home set up on the turbo and have a play. Well I have done a couple of 15min interval session since Sunday and I am in love with them.

I have knocked off the tension on the pedal for the time being just to allow me to get used to clipping in and out but I feel so much more comfortable than when I did with the plastic toe clips and I love the floating feeling you get on the pedals allowing for some movement but never enough to accidentally unclipp under power.

Couple more training session on the turbo and then come the weekend I may venture out on the road for a short run.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
They're great are'nt they, just beware when you do go out on the road as you will be distracted by the usual traffic etc and it is very likely you will experience that "clipless moment". I have and I'm sure a great many others have as well, it's that moment when you suddenly realise you haven't unclipped but your bike is already starting to fall and you are struggling to get your foot unclipped to save embarrassing yourself .

mynydd

Veteran
I hope I'm not tempting fate here, but I've never had a clipless moment in four years of using them....
I was however anxious for quite a while after beginning to use them because people kept saying I would....
But, yes I agree they're great things, I'd never switch back now

Levo-Lon

Guru
I love my M530 pedals , i find them a lot more user friendly than my M520's

if you get SH56 muti release cleats you will find there even better for the holy c4ap moments.

see next post. Forum wont ad link correctly..

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
They're great are'nt they, just beware when you do go out on the road as you will be distracted by the usual traffic etc and it is very likely you will experience that "clipless moment". I have and I'm sure a great many others have as well, it's that moment when you suddenly realise you haven't unclipped but your bike is already starting to fall and you are struggling to get your foot unclipped to save embarrassing yourself .
Yeah that's what I am afraid of and partly the reason why I am getting used to them whilst the bike is nice a secure on the trainer. I seem to have already mastered not looking down which I hear is a common issue with people starting off with clipless pedals so fingers and toes crossed.

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
I hope I'm not tempting fate here, but I've never had a clipless moment in four years of using them....
I was however anxious for quite a while after beginning to use them because people kept saying I would....
But, yes I agree they're great things, I'd never switch back now
Yeah that's what put me off having only been riding since October and still getting used to riding I put it off but spring is round the corner and I want to be putting plenty more miles on the bike so no better time to bite the bullet.

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
I love my M530 pedals , i find them a lot more user friendly than my M520's

if you get SH56 muti release cleats you will find there even better for the holy c4ap moments.

see next post. Forum wont ad link correctly..
I did toy with the idea of going for these but having knock back the tension to the lowest setting I seem to be able to locate and clip easily so will see how things go.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I keep the tension on the lower setting all the time and dont have any problems with them.

One of the tricks is to unclip early, for example as you coast up to a red light. With A530's you have the flat side if you want to pedal without reclipping in.

Also make sure you are equally confortable unclipping both feet, you never know when you may have to put your "wrong" foot down.:smile:

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
One of the tricks is to unclip early, for example as you coast up to a red light. With A530's you have the flat side if you want to pedal without reclipping in.

Also make sure you are equally confortable unclipping both feet, you never know when you may have to put your "wrong" foot down.:smile:
Yeah that's the beauty of these will definatly be unclipping well before a junction and just coasting on the flat.

My dominate right leg is fine it's my left that needs work on but also the pedal was a little tighter than the right so hopefully a few more session on the turbo will free things up a bit more.

Top Bottom