Slightly odd noise from drivetrain under load..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
A while ago I noticed that my old Raleigh was making a somewhat odd noise from the drivetrain under load. It has a 50/40 chainset and 14-28 freewheel. The noise manifested itself as a sort of repetitive pinging while pedalling; only on the 40/20 sprocket combination. Now after a few more miles it seems to be doing it on other gearing combinations too.

The noise is pretty consistant; a bit louder with more load but there constantly and not periodic with pedal strokes as you get with a failing BB. The BB seems good with no sidefloat in the cranks that I detect.

The chain is worn and needs replacing; I've not bothered oiling it (it doesn't squeak) due to the impending replacement although as usual I'm dragging my arse getting this done.

I guess the first port of call is to get the chain sorted but I'm a little dubious in case this indicates terminal wear elsewhere in the drivetrain or some other horror!

Any thoughts most welcome ;)

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Impending freewheel failure? My Raleigh Pioneer started to make some funny noises that I attributed to the indexing being out of kilter and causing chain rub on the sprockets. This got progressively worse and tweaking the gear cable did not cure it. Eventually I discovered the freewheel hub had developed side-float meaning the sprockets could not be maintained in any sort of proper alignment. The drive and freewheeling functions still worked ok, but probably would have failed sooner or later if just ridden like that.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I would give the chain a quick clean and very carefully wipe it with a 'weak' paper towel, inspecting as you go: which may reveal a part broken link.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Thanks guys :smile:
Impending freewheel failure? My Raleigh Pioneer started to make some funny noises that I attributed to the indexing being out of kilter and causing chain rub on the sprockets. This got progressively worse and tweaking the gear cable did not cure it. Eventually I discovered the freewheel hub had developed side-float meaning the sprockets could not be maintained in any sort of proper alignment. The drive and freewheeling functions still worked ok, but probably would have failed sooner or later if just ridden like that.
Didn't think of that; however I've just given the cassette a little wiggle (with a screwdriver wedged between the sprockets) and while I'm getting some local deflection at the sprockets the whole cassette seems rock solid relative to the wheel and axle.

I would give the chain a quick clean and very carefully wipe it with a 'weak' paper towel, inspecting as you go: which may reveal a part broken link.
I may give that a go, although for all the hassle of cleaning the gammy, worn chain I might just bite the bullet and replace it tbh. As usual nothing ever straightforward and it comes down to a more expensive local item or a bargain-basement internet purchase with strings attached!

Might go for a quick ride into town now so will see how it feels now and update the thread if something fails catastrophically and I end up face-surfing along the road :blink:

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

To update, replacing the 2% worn original(?) chain has alleviated the majority of the worrying noises and improved shifting quality too. It's still a little noisey (tbh I find they always clatter a little when waxed) but so much better than it was :smile:

Top Bottom