Slime

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the snail

Guru
I don't think so - you just need 'enough'. If a puncture is beyond what sealant will deal with, then putting more in won't help.

Drago

Legendary Member
Nope. The maximum level of protection is determined by the size of the rubbery bits in the compound.

I'm a slime fan, but its not popular with everyone. It's not infallible either.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I’ve got slime in my MTB tyres, I hate it, it keeps blocking the valves so it’s difficult to reduce tyre pressure and to increase it. Never using it again

D

Deleted member 26715

If you double the amount of slime in your tube will it give you more protection from punctures.
I'm going to disagree with others in that if you add a bit more each month or so the length of protection will continue longer

I’ve got slime in my MTB tyres, I hate it, it keeps blocking the valves so it’s difficult to reduce tyre pressure and to increase it. Never using it again
I've never had this issue, but then again I don't mess with my tyre pressures, I only pump them up when required

I'm a slime fan, but its not popular with everyone. It's not infallible either.
I had my first failure yesterday 4.5 miles out coming down a quick hill got to the right handler at the bottom & the back end was all over the place. Stopped only to find the rear tyre almost completely flat, used a CO2 to pump it back up, got another 8 miles & it was flat again, so turned home, but looking this morning it's still up.

OP
OP
W

Wyn Davies

I did over 5000miles on my old bike with slime in tyres puncture free the puncture in the new one a huge thorn carrying a Gaddi double ended tube withme now.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I only do full tubeless set up now,
Slime works well, but I prefer tubeless because it's far better as you can run low psi and the chance of a snake bite flat is very unlikely.

Also a tube with slime can weigh over 300g
Tubeless removes 250g so a half a kilo lighter.

As for extra slime? Not really.
It lasts for yrs.

Tyre sealant on the other had needs replacement every season or it goes off .
Bit of a pain but the benefits outweigh the negative

D

Deleted member 26715

Also a tube with slime can weigh over 300g
Tubeless removes 250g so a half a kilo lighter.
Are you sure apart from the fact 250g is only a 1/4 of a Kg, does an empty innertube weigh 250g?

Top Bottom