Slipping chain on rear cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John342

Hi all, daughters bike only a week old. Chain slipping when putting effort in. Checked tension of gear cable to rear derailer and seems but slack. Compared to the front cog cable. Tried loosening but and pulling tighter then re fastening but can't seem to get any more tension on the cable.
Any suggestions?
Cheers John

screenman

Legendary Member
What type of gears? sounds like an indexing poblem which has little to do with a tight cable.

OP
OP
J

John342

This is true. But it's always a Sunday. Sod's law something will go wrong on the sat evening or Sunday morning and you can't get it sorted. Had same prob with my boardman from there few months ago. I flipped in the end and took it to lbs and claimed costs back.

adamhearn

Veteran
Indexing is the likely cause; could be loose cogs but I think with grip shifters it's likely to be a cheaper bicycle that has a 7 speed freewheel and unless the freewheel is broken it shouldn't have this problem. Maybe the cogs are bent and/or the freewheel isn't on the hub straight?

Now a bit of a dig... you call them Halfrauds but still gave them further business. Now, I understand people have this united disrespect of certain large companies [Microsoft, Tesco, Halfords, etc] but if you really feel that strongly then isn't it best to give the business to a company that would offer you the expected level of service? I buy stuff from Halfords as they are open 7 days a week, stock a fair amount and I could drop in to a local store.I would not get them to build/service a bike as I can do that myself and there are more than enough reports that their service is hugely variable depending on branch.

OP
OP
J

John342

Hi mate, yes I understand what you mean exactly I come home from work one day last week to find the Mrs had been and ordered a bike in for her. No mention of it before hand so it was a complete shock to me. I personally prefer the small lbs and would have preferred she used them. But £100 for a bike that prob won't get used a great deal is better than a few hundered on a decent one. So swings and roundabouts really.
Anyway just to clear this up, I am even more baffled now. I have tried her bike myself no probs what so ever. No chain slip. The daughter now says it feels like she loosing the pedals. The plot seems more likely haha. From what I can gather I think she saying it's not geared high enough. But that's when she is in middle front cog and 1-6 on rear. I said well go into 3rd cog and then she says that's too hard. Any suggestions?

adamhearn

Veteran
Anyway just to clear this up, I am even more baffled now. I have tried her bike myself no probs what so ever. No chain slip. The daughter now says it feels like she loosing the pedals. The plot seems more likely haha. From what I can gather I think she saying it's not geared high enough. But that's when she is in middle front cog and 1-6 on rear. I said well go into 3rd cog and then she says that's too hard. Any suggestions?
wrt slipping chain - could it be possible that she's actuating the gear shift by tightly gripping the shifter part of the grip whilst grinding in too high a gear?

How do you mean "loosing the pedals" - From that I'm reading that the gearing is not high enough thus she's spinning out. If that's a correct assumption then it could be that she's not sure how to best manage the rear cogs in combination with the front chainrings. Educating the inexperienced [especially ladies - that's not a sexist comment just an observation based on my experience] that gears are there to maintain cadence is a difficult one. Perhaps something to read for her: https://totalwomenscycling.com/road...nique-how-to-use-your-gears-efficiently-9497/

OP
OP
J

John342

That's great. Thanks for the article. Will pass that on to her.
Yes that's what she appears to be trying to explain.
Back to basics on gears tomorrow I think. I tried explaining this evening while we were out but I think it was going in one ear and out the other.

Top Bottom