Slipping Chain Please help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackSwan83

So my chain has started slipping (not between gears but almost like the teeth are missing and then catch again) Its a total pain and tends to be a lot when moving off and can also be painful.

Ive checked the chain and also removed the rear cassette as this is where i feel the slip is happening.
Once the cassett has been removed the black holder of it (with grooves) seems to be skipping when i move it back and forward so could this be the case?

If so then what do i look for on replacing this? Its attached to the wheel itself.

Many thanks

It sounds to me as if your freewheel is no longer engaging properly (black holder). But chain skate (slip) is also caused by a worn chain, but you have you eliminated that option, have you? If it is the freewheel body, it is a trip to the bike shop where it will either be replaced if it is the Shimano type hub or it will be overhauled if it is serviceable.

OP
OP
BlackSwan83

BlackSwan83

Thanks for the quick response.
The chain, and cassette are only about 5 months old but think its the black thing the cassette sits on (which comes off the wheel) Do you know what this is called?

Broadside

Guru
Depending on the wheel, the freehub body can be an easy part to change.

I would agree with that, but finding the right one as a replacement can be quite hard, especially for stock wheels. It tends to result in a trip to the LBS to identify the right part that need to be bought.

gbb

Legendary Member
It does sound loke classic freehub slipping.
Anyone had the same as one of mine ?...Bianchi stock wheels developed a slip now and then when quite new, then stopped doing it, never to recur.
Sticky or excess grease perhaps when new ?

Top Bottom