Slipping chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Argh. ;)
I run a single speed conversion. On-One conversion kit, with Doofer chain tensioner on an Ultegra hub.

I recently changed the chain and decided to switch the rear sprocket (18t) to the original (but barely used) 16t.

I did this and the (brand new) chain slipped like a b'stard with virtually every turn of the cranks.

I bought a brand new sprocket.

It did the same.

I put back the old 18t sprocket.

It still does it.

Any ideas?

skwerl

I'm guessing the hub is slipping

dudi

I think skwerl probably means that the sprocket may be tightening onto the hub further when you ride, although in my experience this feels a lot different to the chain slipping. it may be worth checking though as it's a simple fix, just keep riding until it stops (then tightening the lockring if you use one)!

You said you have a new chain, what size did you get? I know i'm probably insulting your inteligence, but you did get a proper 1/8" chain? a normal bike chain wil not fit the teeth on the sproocket properly, and will slip.

Another possibility is that on your new chain you have a particularly stiff link, give them a check, and loosen as required.

Hope you find it!

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
Dudi – I use this chain. Same as I’ve been using for over a year now. I doubt that it’s the sprocket tightening up, it’s a cassette hub, not a dedicated single-speed hub.

Skwerl – If it’s the hub, is that fatal? The hubs are Ultegra, about 2 ½ years old, never been serviced but still running smoothly. They’ve probably done about 6000 to 7000 miles.

skwerl

I mean the pawls in the hub might be slipping. Unlikely I know but it can happen. Other options are:
As Dudi said - wrong chain. Are you sure you were sent 1/8"? It'll be obvious if it fits properly or not
Sprocket is slipping on the hub. These sprockets are supplied by On-One, correct? How well do they fit the hub? As well as a Shimano cassette would?

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
skwerl said:
I mean the pawls in the hub might be slipping. Unlikely I know but it can happen. Other options are:
As Dudi said - wrong chain. Are you sure you were sent 1/8"? It'll be obvious if it fits properly or not
Sprocket is slipping on the hub. These sprockets are supplied by On-One, correct? How well do they fit the hub? As well as a Shimano cassette would?
Chain is definitely correct, it's very distinctive with the anti-rust coating.

I have three sprockets are from Gusset. It slips with all of them and I doubt that they would rotate on the splines. I'll mark the sprockets and splines with Tippex and test, just in case.

Next thing to do is to slip on an old cassette and see how that goes.

dudi

Ah, i didnt read your post properly, i thought you had a fixed cog on a freewheel hub. oops!
could it be that the splines are worn where the sprocket is? I dont know how the conversion works, but I assume the sprocket just fits onto the splines the same way the cassette would?

robgul

Legendary Member
Chuffy ... a bit of a long shot, but it happens with fixed ... try changing the combination/relationship of front and rear teeth numbers ... if the chain is tight it may not "mesh" properly on the two sets of teeth and thus jump.

Having said that, my money would have been on a stiff link

Rob

skwerl

Chuffy said:
Chain is definitely correct, it's very distinctive with the anti-rust coating.

I have three sprockets are from Gusset. It slips with all of them and I doubt that they would rotate on the splines. I'll mark the sprockets and splines with Tippex and test, just in case.

Next thing to do is to slip on an old cassette and see how that goes.

If they are slipping then I'd expect to see fairly hefty scratches on the surface of the hub. But it seems the most likely cause. That or the internal freewheel mechanism of the hub. I take it you get the nice clickety-click sound of freely-operating pawls when you spin the wheel?

skwerl

Ok. I'm confused. You're running an On-One conversionon an Ultegra hub. There is no freewheel.
There's a freehub, which is where you put the sprocket and spacers. Is that what you changed?
Haven't you just ordered a s/s wheel anyway?

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
skwerl said:
Ok. I'm confused. You're running an On-One conversionon an Ultegra hub. There is no freewheel.
There's a freehub, which is where you put the sprocket and spacers. Is that what you changed?
Haven't you just ordered a s/s wheel anyway?
I jolly well do have a freewheel! It's kind of intrinsic to the freehub, which is the bit I have replaced. Sorry, I tend to think of the two terms as being interchangable, so far as my hub goes.

Yes, I've ordered a ss wheel, because I want a 'proper' wheel and not a conversion. The new wheel hasn't arrived yet, so I wanted to replace the 'broken' freehub and test to see if that cured the problem. Since it didn't I'd really like to figure out what the problem is, because not knowing bugs the hell out of me...

Top Bottom