Slipping gears on rear wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John Kervin

Über Member
Sorry, but I don't know all the proper names for bike parts but I hope you'll understand what I'm talking about!
The ratchet on the rear wheel is slipping and I can't see how to get at them. I've removed the cogs which were on a splined hub but I can't see how the hub comes off to reveal the ratchet.
Anyone any ideas?

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Hi John, if the rear cogs (sprockets) just slid off you have a cassette freehub. This means that it will be quite hard to service/repair and it may be easier just to get a new wheel or take it to an LBS for a 2nd opinion. Older wheels used a freewheel which screwed onto the wheel so if faulty you just screwed a new one on.
Before you do anything else though, give the freehub side a good spray with some GT85 or similar as it may just be that the ratchet pawls have stuck open.

OP
OP
J

John Kervin

Über Member
Thanks, I'll try the spray. It seems as though one or two of the teeth are damaged or worn as it slips then grips or the springs on the pawls are weak. It's only a spare but I'd like to try and repair it mainly to see how it's done.
I didn't realise screw on are an old type as that's the only type I've seen til now!!

Top Bottom