Slipping Saddle Post on My 2021 Giant TCR Advance 1 Disc.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianbarton

Veteran
I bought this bike a few months ago, but have only recently started using it now the weather is decent. Twice the saddle post has slipped right down when I have gone over some bumpy road. The first time I was 20k from home without a suitable tool to adjust the saddle, so had a very uncomfortable ride back home! Today I took along my torque wrench, so could fix the problem. I have torqued up the fallen nut to the maximum torque printed on the frame. I have checked for any greasy parts on the saddle post. Any suggestions on why the saddle slips? I don't want to have to carry my torque wrench all the time!

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I bought this bike a few months ago, but have only recently started using it now the weather is decent. Twice the saddle post has slipped right down when I have gone over some bumpy road. The first time I was 20k from home without a suitable tool to adjust the saddle, so had a very uncomfortable ride back home! Today I took along my torque wrench, so could fix the problem. I have torqued up the fallen nut to the maximum torque printed on the frame. I have checked for any greasy parts on the saddle post. Any suggestions on why the saddle slips? I don't want to have to carry my torque wrench all the time!

If carbon it may need some paste.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
They're an aero post, you just need some carbon paste to sort this out. It's specified in the assembly manual, in fact Giant supply a sachet of it with all new bikes that have a carbon post. Assembling it "dry" is asking for slippage.

OP
OP
ianbarton

ianbarton

Veteran
Thanks all. Although I live in a house with three females we don't have any hair spray :sad:

It looks as though I need some carbon paste. I'll go and buy a tube and hopefully it will work. It's the first bike I have had that has a carbon frame, so I need to do some reading up about carbon frames.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks all. Although I live in a house with three females we don't have any hair spray :sad:

It looks as though I need some carbon paste. I'll go and buy a tube and hopefully it will work. It's the first bike I have had that has a carbon frame, so I need to do some reading up about carbon frames.

I'm sure your LBS would furnish you with a little bit of paste for a beer token, you don't need much

OP
OP
ianbarton

ianbarton

Veteran
I'm sure your LBS would furnish you with a little bit of paste for a beer token, you don't need much

Unfortunately, my LBS closed a couple of months ago. It was a great shop and was very helpful. It would cost more in petrol to drive to the next nearest shop than to order a tube from Amazon. Of course, I could cycle to my nearest shop, but that would involve several very busy A roads.

Top Bottom