Slipping shimmed post

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The seatpost on my giant retro mod keeps slipping :sad:
It has a factory fitted shim and no matter how tight i do the clamp up it slips , i did grease the post when i installed the new one that i made sure was the correct size as the original was single bolt that i can never get level .The seat can be nudged sideways too easily enough.
Take the grease off? carbon paste ? replace the seatpost clamp ? ( the last would be a shame as its the original once branded one )

Screenshot_20231226-074548_Chrome.jpg

Slick

Guru
The seatpost on my giant retro mod keeps slipping :sad:
It has a factory fitted shim and no matter how tight i do the clamp up it slips , i did grease the post when i installed the new one that i made sure was the correct size as the original was single bolt that i can never get level .The seat can be nudged sideways too easily enough.
Take the grease off? carbon paste ? replace the seatpost clamp ? ( the last would be a shame as its the original once branded one )

From my limited experience, replacing the clamp is the only real solution.

I wouldn't take the grease off especially at this time of year, so it only really leaves your least favourite option.

Not sure about the relevance of cherry coke, but I'm sure someone will explain how thick I am.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Carbon paste and a new seat clamp, I've had this with my MTB and it drove me nuts. I've found carbon paste the best thing and the Halfords brand at £3.00 is very good. However that's not the end of the story because then the seat post can creak which is a pain as well.
Don't do like I did and really overtighten a seat clamp, the bolt broke and then the seat fell down and I had the ride the bike home standing up. It was all uphill as well in the boiling hot weather.

Top Bottom