Slovenian

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Sorry to read about your back, I hope it gets better with time and rest. Do you need an operation?

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
No, fortunately not an operation. I need to strenthen the core muscles to improve stability. Unfortunately the best sort of exercises to do that are ones which in my case put strain on the area already "damaged" ie L4 and 5. The improvement is gradual, mostly due to Physiotherapy.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Bad luck, Speicher; hope you're mending well.

I thoroughly recommend visiting when you get another opportunity. ;)

subsonicgroover

I have been 7 times and Slovenia is great for road and mountain biking as well as family holidays. Cycle off the beaten track in the valleys for fast and flat quiet roads with stunning scenery. Or get your legs pumping up the hills and enjoy awsome descents. Mountain biking is particularly good in the forests. There are quite a few gondolas that take bikes up mountains. I like Golte and Velika Planina in the Savinja Valley.

In addition, the people are the most friendly and accommodating I have found in Europe.

Herons' Place - a Slovenia Holiday Home

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I used to watch in awe as roadies tackled the steep and twisting route up to Vrsic from Kranjska Gora. I had enough trouble walking up it !!

I really miss not having been there for 5 years. It's like a lifetime away. The minute I ever get any money together again it'll be the first place I go to.

PaulB

Legendary Member
We went to Slovenia in 2007 and I agree with everyone who wrote to say it's a great place. Good for cylcing as well. We went to Radlovijce (sp?) which was fer nice. Not as scenic as the stunning Dolomites but outstandingly beautiful nevertheless. The climb of Triglav should on no account be missed by anyone visiting this country.

yenrod

goo_mason said:
I used to watch in awe as roadies tackled the steep and twisting route up to Vrsic from Kranjska Gora. I had enough trouble walking up it !!

I really miss not having been there for 5 years. It's like a lifetime away. The minute I ever get any money together again it'll be the first place I go to.

That rings true with me: I have heard Slovenia is megahilly !!!!

terry huckle

Went to Slovenia a few years back on an Exodus walking trip (Julian Alps) Stunning scenery, great food. Watch out for the local rocket fuel...it`s pronounced "borrow-neach-ker" Blueberries steeped in scnapps.

Here`s the island on Lake Bled...viewed from Castle Bled

bledisland.jpg

goo_mason

Borovnica - ahhhh, the blueberry schnapps. Last time I was there it was still legal for locals to distill their own, but once they joined the EU that was going to be outlawed. Shame. One of the hotels I stayed in made their own - and you got a glass full of blueberries in an alcohol base. It was incredible !!

I didn't get any really hilly shots, but there are some snaps of my last holiday in Slovenia here, for anyone who wants to see what the place is like.

yenrod

goo_mason said:
Borovnica - ahhhh, the blueberry schnapps. Last time I was there it was still legal for locals to distill their own, but once they joined the EU that was going to be outlawed. Shame. One of the hotels I stayed in made their own - and you got a glass full of blueberries in an alcohol base. It was incredible !!

I didn't get any really hilly shots, but there are some snaps of my last holiday in Slovenia here, for anyone who wants to see what the place is like.

They are incredible !

Amanda P

Legendary Member
goo_mason said:
Dober dan ! - Hello / good day
Dober vecer ! Good evening !
Lahko noc - night !
Kolik stane ? - How much ?
Ena malo toceno, prosim ! - a small draft beer, please.
Dve mali pive - two small beers
Pivo - beer
Crno vino - red wine
prt - tablecloth
vrt - garden
grt - hedgehog
Kako ste ? - How are you ?
Adio ! - cheerio

Hang on a minute.

Hedgehog???

goo_mason

Uncle Phil said:
Hang on a minute.

Hedgehog???

We used to try to make up sentences with as many of these vowel-less words in as possible for amusement, and Slovenian friends helped to supply us with lots of suitable words. So one came up with 'grt' when we were going on about tablecloths in the garden. Hence we could blether about finding a hedgehog on the tablecloth in the garden - "There's a grt on the prt in my vrt". :biggrin:

Top Bottom