Slow Cooker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

We do, prepare stuff put it in, switch it on, wait, switch it off, eat.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
do they cost less to run than an oven.....could you just do the same by putting it on low heat in an oven???

Profpointy

Legendary Member
do they cost less to run than an oven.....could you just do the same by putting it on low heat in an oven???

Whilst I've never owned one, I would think so since an oven is heating up a much greater volume and likely loses a lot more heat to the surroundings

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

They do use much less energy per hour than having an oven on yes, they're supposed to be especially good if you happen to be out all day and want a hot meal when you get in. I'm not sure I'd want my oven on for 8 hours, however low the temperature.

But yes you can do the same dishes with a low oven, and that's all I do seeing as I'm here all day anyway. If you're around the house and can keep an eye on an oven, then the energy difference isn't so much because you can have the oven that bit higher for say, two hours rather than using a slow cooker for 8.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
A slow cooker uses about same energy as a light bulb apparently. I go through phases of using mine, used it a lot when my lad was at school and hungry before I got back from work. He could just help himself and leave mine in their. It is nice to come into the smell of a nice stew you put on at breakfast.

In terms of recipes, anything like a stew / casserole or lamb shanks etc

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Yes I use mine 3 or 4 times a week. I'm working from home so I just prepare it in the morning, then it's ready for when I finish work. I've just looked it up, and it averages about 1p per hour ("average" energy tariff UK, and I suppose "average" sized slow cooker). So 3p an hour worst case scenario I would think.

One general tip: It's a lot quicker if you put hot stuff into it first, especially if you're going out and intend to leave it on low for the whole day. If you're staying in, you can put in on high for the first hour or two and then turn it back.

For example, I'd brown all my meat on the hob first, then transfer the meat into the slow cooker. Then I'd use the same pan (with the meat juices and charred stuff) and put my veg in there on a high heat. Then when the veg is hot, transfer that into slow cooker. Finally if I want a stock or a sauce, I do that in the same pan, get it near boiling and pour it in the slow cooker. You can then leave it on low.

My partner put a load of cold (chilled) meat in hers with raw veg and left it on low from the outset. After 4 hours the carrots were still crunchy and the overall flavour was "underdone". So avoid that. Oh and I switch mine on whilst I'm preparing the food, only 10 minutes early, so it heats up. but you musn't leave it get hot for too long with nothing in it.

Ideas:

My favourite is a stew: meat of choice, swede, onion, carrot, parsnip, potatoes if you like, garlic, seasoning, brown first and then put in slow cooker as above. Make some stock, get it hot, then pour in. Half an hour from the end I make some dumplings and put them in, put the lid back on. You can also drain your gravy into a pan and thicken it on the hob if you want it thicker.

Curries - brown meat with spices in a pan, then transfer to slow cooker. soften the onion and garlic (and chili if you like) in pan and transfer. Heat up coconut milk in the same pan, then tip that into S/C. Add sugar and salt to taste.

Spag Bol/Chili : same principal, brown meat first, then veg, then pour over sauce.

A good tip for anything if it's too runny, carefully take the lid off and slowly move it away to the sink, tip it up and loods of condensation will run off. Keep doing that every 30 mins , and you'll have removed half a cup of water in just a few goes.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Casseroles, pulled pork, curries, bolognaise, chilli, paella, leg of lamb, tagine, you can even bake a loaf of bread. We use ours a lot, even during lockdown it means we start it off at the beginning of the day and don't have to worry about starting to cook after a day balancing two adults working and trying to keep two kids on task for their school work. You also look at modern pressure cookers, with a decent one you can do all of the above but also shorten the cooking time considerably.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Nipped into Aldi abs picked up the one they had. Cooking appears to left to me these days so I’m wanting less hassle . Current slow cooker has limited controls. So really would not want to leave on all day whilst out ! £27.99 in Aldi !

Dave7

Legendary Member
Curries!!! Yummy.
I marinate everything overnight then cook for 8 hours.
One tip......I use slow cooker liners, saves a lot of work cleaning up afterwards.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I use mine mainly for Lamb Shanks/Leg although I have done a 'pulled' Pork Shoulder too,

Recipe,

Brown the Lamb leg or the 4 Shanks then place in the slowcooker
Peel a couple of Carrots and quarter an Onion, add these with a stick or 2 of Celery to the pot
Add seasoning (I like 5-6 anchovies on the Leg of Lamb) and herbs
Pour in a bottle of OK Red Wine (Cabernet or Shiraz works well)
Leave for at least 8 hours cooking

I then make the Gravy with the cooking 'Liquor' but be warned because the Slowcooker doesn't really steam the Gravy is quite Alcohol rich

I have a slow cooker, and only ever use it for stews. I've found one pan recipes, unless there's a real need for slow cook times, are just less faff when done in a pan since you have to sear meat, caramelise veg etc. If saving money and time is a motivator, I advise people to check out pressure cookers, they reduce cooking times and total gas/electric use considerably. They make tough meats tender, and it makes cooking bulk purchased dried beans and lentils far cheaper than the tinned stuff too, without the long cooking times that put many people off.

Top Bottom