slug control

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lullabelle

Banana
Moderate your consumption. :okay:

Beer - honestly!

Beer
Slugs are attracted to beer. Set a small amount of beer in a shallow wide jar buried in the soil up to its neck. Slugs will crawl in and drown. Take the jar lid and prop it up with a small stick so rain won't dilute the beer. Leave space for slugs to enter the trap.

http://eartheasy.com/grow_nat_slug_cntrl.htm

Cheap lemonade works just as well.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Catapult.

Launch the little beggars into next door's garden :thumbsup:

stuee147

a 3 inch wide line of sharp sand or crushed egg shell around your plant beds should work it always has for me.
iv also seen a electric fence for slugs. using a 9v battery and some garden wire (the uncoated type) you just run 2 lenghs of wire around your raised beds stapeling the wire to the wood with about a 1/2 inch gap between wires then conect one wire to the positive and one to the negitive terminals of your battery when a slug bridges the two wires it gets zaped quite funny and it seems to stop the little so and so's from getting your veg

Davidc

Guru
If you use pellets buy the organic ones. They contain a substance which doesn't kill other wildlife (except snails), or pets or children.

Copper tape works well. as does the bare wire (any metal will work) described above.

A bit slimy on the fingers but I've found the pick em up and drown em system (as above) works best. Every night for a month then once a week has worked for me in the past.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Hedgehogs! Just remember anything oral you give a slug to eat to kill it will also poison hedgehogs and other wildlife. I'd never heard of beer. I suppose there will be a few drunk hedgehogs around now

Mrs M

Guru
Copper tape is available at Homebase. Good for putting round the base of pots.
It's not electrified but slugs get a wee shock if they come into contact with copper.
My neighbour uses the beer traps and swears by them, think they're at Homebase too.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I troll them on Twitter until they flounce out of my garden

#slimyfeckers #saltydeath

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Coffee grounds.

Some of the high street coffee people bag up their used grounds to give out to gardeners etc....
Does not work, excellent as an all round fertilizer though.
Hunting by torchlight and killing by immersing in salted water. Keep at it though! It can also get you a reputation with your neighbours as being an eccentric. I quite like being outside in the dark listening to all the other noises going on.
That's what I do, plus the sugar water traps. It's an ongoing battle :evil:

Cheap lemonade works just as well.
Or just sugared water.

So wish I had a few hedgehogs around :sad:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
We've used Nemaslug before and I'm sure we will again on the veg patch, and this year we are trying wool (I think that's what we are using it for).

Top Bottom