Small bug - external links (FIXED - No Further Reports)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
If you put a longish link into a post the site automatically shortens the text, putting an ellipsis into the text in place of what it has taken out. Like this: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...1.361867,-0.218053&spn=0.015113,0.033946&z=15
The actual URL address should be unchanged.

It looks like in some posts it's actually replacing the URL with the shortened text too, as you can see in this post: https://www.cyclechat.net/

(It looks like it happens if you preview the post before posting, or edit it afterwards - the shortened URL is kept in the edit window if that happens)

Shaun

Founder
Hmmm ... interesting ... I can't seem to replicate it.

I edited the Cateye post to put the proper link it, but having tried to break it using quick and full editors, with and without preview, I can't seem to break it.

I'll have a look in the developer forums to see if this is a reported bug though as it may only happen under certain circumstances.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I can recreate it like this.

In the full editor (i.e. add reply or quote someone) type or paste a long link

Click Preview Post.

The link shortens in the preview, as you would expect, BUT it also shortens in the editor, meaning when you post it, the link is broken.

The same behaviour occurs when you edit a post.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
It also breaks the links when quoting, which while less of a problem is still wrong behaviour.

Shaun

Founder
Could you do me a favour and try it in the IPB skin to see if it does the same?

If it doesn't I'll contact the skin designer. If it does I'll contact the forums developer.

Thanks,
Shaun :biggrin:

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Very odd. I changed skins, and the problem went away. Then I changed back, and the bug is gone!
It still shortens the link in the editor, but the actual URL is preserved.

Top Bottom