Small Handlebar Bag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
This is what I have, http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_231823_langId_-1_categoryId_165643

A Topeak Tour Guide bar bag. It does for me exactly what you want from a bar bag. I take it on rides where I just want to take a wallet, camera, map, banana or two and a long sleeve jersey. It's smaller than the pic suggests and not as big as say a Vaude Aqua or Ortlieb Classic bag. Halfords do them so you can give them a good inspection before you buy. Wiggle do them as well. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Topeak_TourGuide_Handlebar_Bag/5360043343/

It's well made. Lots of compartments, well padded and pretty water resistant although not 100% waterproof. It has a bright yellow waterproof cover. You can remove the top plastic map wallet which I did from the first minute I got it. I've not used it as it's not that great. I have a much better Zefal map holder.

There is also a smaller version a Topeak Compact bar bag which I have not seen or inspected. But Topeak stuff is normally well made and lasts.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Topeak_Compact_Bar_Bag/5360012012/

I fitted a R&K click fix back plate to mine so I can use it on any of my bikes.

HTH.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Thanks for that Crankarm :biggrin: I nipped down to my local halfords and that bag is perfect for holding my nightvision windproof jacket and other small items.

I tried the topeak compact bag like potsy has earlier in the week but it was a tad too small but that one is perfect.

I just need to find somewhere to mount my ayup lights now :wacko:

potsy

Rambler
phil_hg_uk said:
Thanks for that Crankarm :biggrin: I nipped down to my local halfords and that bag is perfect for holding my nightvision windproof jacket and other small items.

I tried the topeak compact bag like potsy has earlier in the week but it was a tad too small but that one is perfect.

I just need to find somewhere to mount my ayup lights now :wacko:
Shame that phil,but glad you've found one you like.Good thing about my lights(Hopes) is they are quite high on the bars so if i angle my bar bag down slightly the lights are still perfectly positioned to see with as well as be seen.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Interesting point about the lights.....
I've made up brackets for the lowriders now, because my lockblocks not tall enough for the tesco torches to shine over my old bar bag. Will have to see how the (recently purchased) Hope fits.
That said both Topeak do and Rixen Kaul do modified mountings that seem to have accessory bars "built in"

phil_hg_uk

potsy said:
Shame that phil,but glad you've found one you like.Good thing about my lights(Hopes) is they are quite high on the bars so if i angle my bar bag down slightly the lights are still perfectly positioned to see with as well as be seen.

Yes shame about the small bag but never mind it was worth a try, I got it from wiggle so I can just send it back.

I have rigged one of these for my lights:

but hanging down from the handlebars and the light shines onto the road underneath the bag.

Not ideal as it is not as visible the other traffic but it shines onto the road a good few feet in front of the bike so I can see where I am going and others should see that ok.

phil_hg_uk

Just been looking at the bag and it has a light loop on the front of it so I can put a flashing LED light on the front of the bag as well which should be fine for other people to see so with the AYUP's as well should be sorted.

I tell you what is annoying though I just realised that I have a £10 Halfords gift voucher, it is sitting on the sideboard looking at me, which I could have used when I bought the bag earlier this evening ;)

Crankarm

Guru
I'll post a pic of my light set up tomorrow. I fashioned a bracket mounted on the mudguard mount which site nicely below the bar bag. I started out using an extended Space grip mounted on the handle bars downwards, but I wasn't altogether happy with it. I bought a new blind for the house. Didn't use the new brackets as the old ones were fine. Then had a Eureka moment with these spare brackets which are perfect as you will see tomorrow. One thing I have noticed Phil with your bar bag - it's tipping forward quite a lot :becool:? Is there a reason for this or do you prefer it thus? Raising it would give you room underneath for a couple of lights.

Just seen your STI units could be the reason for your bag appearing to tip forward. Fortunately I have flat bars so no issues with clearing cables. Although I do intend to fit drops at some point, for which I have some Campag Athena Ergo levers.

P.H

Über Member
New Horizon said:
EBC do a 3 litre one in their own brand - Revolution Adventure Bar Bag. www.edinburghbicycle.com. Topeak do some as well.

I have the Vaude version of that, almost identical.
It isn't waterproof, not even shower resistant, if it's wet on the outside it's wet on the inside. It does come with a waterproof cover, though that means you can't use the map case. No use to me...

Top Bottom