Small pc for touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ASC1951

Guru
I really really want a small solid laptop to take on holiday and the EEE would certainly be my choice.

The trouble is, I can't think of anything I would actually do with it if I bought one. I don't take photographs because I found I never look at them afterwards. I don't want to load it with books because paper is easier to read. I don't want to fire off emails because I can tell people when I get back. I don't want to read the news or access t'Interweb because that's why I'm on holiday.

Perhaps I should just buy one and not unpack it.

Carwash

Señor Member
ASC1951 said:
I really really want a small solid laptop to take on holiday and the EEE would certainly be my choice.

The trouble is, I can't think of anything I would actually do with it if I bought one. I don't take photographs because I found I never look at them afterwards. I don't want to load it with books because paper is easier to read. I don't want to fire off emails because I can tell people when I get back. I don't want to read the news or access t'Interweb because that's why I'm on holiday.

Perhaps you could write up a diary or log of your journey? Or reflect upon the inspiring scenery you have passed during the day, and craft a moving poem or witty novel? If you program, you could use the time to work on your pet project.

Of course, if you're just looking for excuses to buy one, anything will do, won't it? ;)

johnnyh

Veteran
my eee fits neatly into the bottom of my Topeak trunk bag, an excellent tool that saves me carrying round my main laptop on day to day work calls.

ASC1951

Guru
I will admit to recording daily mileage and route - on paper - which I dump into a spreadsheet when I get back. I was convinced for years that there was a great work of literature inside me, but when I had a thorough look - there wasn't.

Hmm. Working on a pet project on holiday? Must be a Programmer thing. :biggrin:

It's tempting to get new gadgets because you think you're a Luddite if you don't. A couple of years ago I bought a mobile phone, but I find I never use it. I have a landline at work and another at home and in between I don't need to ring anyone or be rung. Nokia might just as well have sold me a small block of wood and I suspect the same would be true of an EEE.

[Note to self. Business Opportunity. Small range of understated but offensively expensive versions of E-Gadgets for people who just need to look up to date.]

[Further note to self. Has Apple already seized Opportunity?]

No, you're right, Carwash. I'm off to Dabs Direct.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
ASC1951 said:

+1 :biggrin: ;) :laugh:
I have a landline at work and another at home and in between I don't need to ring anyone or be rung.
+1 more vote for common sense :biggrin:

andym

Über Member
ASC1951 said:
I will admit to recording daily mileage and route - on paper - which I dump into a spreadsheet when I get back. I was convinced for years that there was a great work of literature inside me, but when I had a thorough look - there wasn't.

Hmm. Working on a pet project on holiday? Must be a Programmer thing. ;)

It's tempting to get new gadgets because you think you're a Luddite if you don't. A couple of years ago I bought a mobile phone, but I find I never use it. I have a landline at work and another at home and in between I don't need to ring anyone or be rung. Nokia might just as well have sold me a small block of wood and I suspect the same would be true of an EEE.

No doubt you still refer to the radio as a 'wireless'.

hackbike 6

Samsung-Q40_2.jpg

Dunno may leave it for now as my Samsung Q40 does a good enough job.

It's in pink so don't think any worse of me.;)

ASC1951

Guru
andym said:
No doubt you still refer to the radio as a 'wireless'.
Not quite, although I will admit to getting a digital Roberts for its retro look. :sad:

There are many people who couldn't do their jobs or operate their social life without mobile phones and laptops. I can. My issue is with people buying gadgets for their own sake, not because they can then do something quicker/cheaper/better. For instance, email is a terrific facility but I have colleagues who will toil away for ten minutes of hunt-and-peck typing to send me an email from the room next door, when they could have told me the same thing in person in thirty seconds - that's not being ahead of the technology curve, it's just inefficient.

Anyway, back on the Asus EEE or equivalent. What would be the most reliable and cost effective way to have broadband access for, say, half a dozen weeks a year? Usually abroad, sometimes with poor reception, but always with mains power; and only for Internet access, not for voice traffic. Can you get the equivalent of phone card?

Being a complete computer nincompoop (sp), what/how is the best way to have internet connection whilst on the move?

I travel quite a lot abroad (lesiure time, not with work) and would like to have a small compact notebook (something like the Dell Inspiron Mini 9 or 12) to take with me on travels, holidays and cycling touring.
These 'dongle' things, how do they work, and do they only function in the country of residence on one network?

andym

Über Member
ASC1951 said:
Anyway, back on the Asus EEE or equivalent. What would be the most reliable and cost effective way to have broadband access for, say, half a dozen weeks a year? Usually abroad, sometimes with poor reception, but always with mains power; and only for Internet access, not for voice traffic. Can you get the equivalent of phone card?

You can, but unfortunately it is hideously expensive as international data roaming is the one area where mobile operators are able to get away with charging what they want. The European Commission (hurrah!) is on their case having already forced them to reduce the cost of calls and texts, so eventually they will probably get forced to reduce the cost of intrnational data, but it is going to take some time.

At the moment the best bet is someone like these guys:

http://www.united-mobile.com/

who charge (sharp intake of breath) a €/Mb.

If you are going to be somewhere for a period of time it may be possible to get a PAYG card from a mobile operator in another country - but when I looked at France, for example, it seemed to be a lot less competitive than the UK and all I could see were monthly contract offers.

The best bet for some time to come is probably going to be to use internet cafés or hotels and cafés with free wifi. You might even have to steel yourself to go into a McDonalds (one of these new-fangled places selling something called a 'beefburger'). :evil:

I'd look to getting something with a six inch screen in the future with a decent bit of kick about it.

I bought a psp portable in Doha and it's really impressive with the way you can surf the net on it.

yello

andym said:
when I looked at France, for example, it seemed to be a lot less competitive than the UK and all I could see were monthly contract offers

You can get PAYG in France but I'm pretty sure it doesn't include data. Last time I looked, I think Orange gave probably the most practical solution, a 3G key where you prepaid for set period of time (evening, weekend, etc). For occassional use, I didn't think it a starter. Besides, 3G coverage is pretty poor outside of urban areas, i.e. most of France!

On the plus side (if it is a plus) McDonald's do free wifi.

Top Bottom