Small pc for touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
My dear lady wife has professed an interest in a portable smal computer for when she travels and it occurred to me that it may prove useful for us on our cycle tours too. Any advice as to what a numpty should be looking at?

Tynan

Veteran
those new 10 inch ones look excellent for that sort of thing and change from £300 I think

erm, advent something and the 'air' one from someone else, small and light and full windows

Brains

Legendary Member
Asus EEE PC - from little over £300

From a cycling point of view they are good because:
They have no moving parts (no hard drive to knock out of sync in a pannier)
They are cheap - so when it does break - who cares.
They have a plastic cover that is pannier proof
They are seriously small yet still have a decent size keyboard

The only downside is I would always ensure you back up everything onto some sort of external memory from time to time

andym

Über Member
The Asus EEEpc (or whatever it's called) created a whole new market segment that a lot of other people are trying to muscle in on. The Acer AspireOne has had very good reviews and starts from £179 while there are other similar machines from HP, Dell and others. This is likely to continue to be a fiercely competitive and changing market, which hopefully means that the quality/spec of the machines will continue to improve but prices stay where they are.

The basic guts are the same (Intel Atom processor). Issues to think about are:

- Linux or Windows? The Linux machines will do all of the basic stuff you need (word processing/web browsing etc), even photoediting. The only thing you might want to look into is drivers for 3G/HSDPA USB modems (for mobile broadband). I think up until recently these have only been available for Windows - but that is changing and they may now be available;
- on the subject of mobile broadband - the manufacturers are saying they will be building these in as from earlyish next year - worth bearing in mind;
- I'm not sure about this but I think Windows needs a larger capacity hard disk so may only be available on machines with a conventional hard disc (ie not flash drive);
- keyboard. Some manufacturers seem to have been more successful than others in squeezing a keyboard into the available space - worth bearing in mind if the machine is to be used intensively;
- screen size. The machines with the larger 10" screens generally seem to weigh in at about 1.3kg as opposed to 1kg for the smaller screens but I think there are a couple of machines out there where they have managed to squeeze a larger keyboard into a smaller case.

jay clock

Massive member
AndyM made lots of good points.

I am the owner of 2 Asus EEEs and an Acer Aspire One. Both are the Linux version. Unless you REALLY have a need to have Windows I think the Linux versions are amazing.

The first Asus EEE has a broken screen as I stepped on it by the bed!! The second is my girlfriend's and is used as an extra pc for casual browsing. I took one on tour in Portugal in March and it was fantastic. I tmeant I could sort my photos out, rename then etc all on the PC, and also email updates to my crazyguyonabike site. The Acer also has a multi card slot so you can plug your camera card in the side. I also managed to get Skype onto it for free calls home (it is preloaded on the Asus)

Whilst I was madly recommending the Asus to all and sundry I then got the Acer to replace mine. The Acer looks massively classier, has a bigger keyboard (the Asus is fine even so) and the screen is much bigger. The only downside is a heavier power pack and a heavier pc. Totals are something like 930g vs 1350g (both inc power supply)

Battery life is not great - maybe 1.5 to 2 hrs, but the clever thing with Linux is that it goes from off to 100% on in about 20 secs - none of this Windows rubbish waiting for hours. Even with small RAM etc compared with Windows laptops they both seem very fast. They get Open Office preloaded.

Don't worry about hard drives being small - you can add an SD card plus as many USB sticks as you want.

Either is great, but I am happy to have the Acer in preference to the Asus. Much heavier than that would be a problem for touring. The Asus came with a plain snug neoprene sleeve which I can in fact squeeze the Acer into as well.

If anyone wants to buy the broken Asus (works fine plugged in to an external screen!) let me know

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Thanks for the advice everyone. I have just read some reviews of the Acer and Asus and there seem up and downsides to both. It's good to have a personal comparison JC. How to decide though!!!

MarkF

Guru
I have the Asus EEE, 7" surf (with webcam) it is perfect, you have to think hard about what you are going to use it for before you feel compelled to pay more for features you will never use. I nearly bought the 9" screen then I nearly bought XP loaded but in the end, the original was best for me....and cheapest.

If you are doing a lot of browsing then the 7" screen will probably drive you nuts but I use mine 75% emailing/25% browsing and I love it.

It fell off my scooter in Spain and suffered major sand foul up on the beach and it is still OAK, the build quality is good. I could sit with my feet in the sea picking up wi-fi from a promenade bar, maybe 50m away, ace:biggrin:

andym

Über Member
rich p said:
How to decide though!!!

Find somewhere where you can see them in the flesh?

I bought into this early and have a "Cloudbook" derivative the Packard Bell EasynoteXS

It has done many miles as a touring PC and even does shopping!

There is something satisfying about browsing the net on free WiFI wilst the other half shops!

I would happily buy one of the many small PCs outh there now - Dell, Acer and manu others - look for offers and specs...

xilios

Veteran
We've bought the Asus EEE 901 with xp installed. We havn't use it on tour yet but did take it to Greece a couple months ago and it was great.
I'm still playing with it to remove a lot of unnecessary preinstalled ms programs, and replace them with lightweight open source programs, I've been getting a lot of help from these guys http://forum.eeeuser.com/index.php. Also installed http://www.truecrypt.org/ which I think is a must to keep confidential files with passport, bank and personal information (like adresses) on.
The only problem I have is finding an air/water tight box to keep it in. The last few tours we were on it was raining for several days streight.

upandover

Guru
I have the EEE 901, and the battery life is excellent, even without sticking it on low power it will last 4-5 hours.

Keyboard is good - I'm using it now, and the interface does exactly what it says on the tin. Plus - linux so much faster than my same (ish) spec PC.

Cheers
Steve

upandover

Guru
ps - when i bought mine, the EEE was the only one with a solid-state disk (memory stick style) which means a rough journey doesn't damage it in the way it can a regular disk.

For taking touring, this sort of disc could be vital. Some of the mobile broadband sticks work on the Xandros linux the EEE runs.

Steve

Top Bottom