small shackle lock advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scouserinlondon

I've started using my wife's masterlock from Halfords for errand running, and it's such a small shackle it's impossible to get around the sheffield stand and frame and back wheel. I saw somewhere that it's okay to simply lock the rear wheel parrallel to the seat tube to the stand. Is that kosher?

Am I even making sense?

Yep, that's fine. Since the lock will be going through the triangle between seat tube, chainstays and seat stays, the lock is still passing through the frame

OK, it means that cutting through the wheel would release the bike but that's not as easy as it sounds

OP
OP
S

scouserinlondon

Yep, that's fine. Since the lock will be going through the triangle between seat tube, chainstays and seat stays, the lock is still passing through the frame

OK, it means that cutting through the wheel would release the bike but that's not as easy as it sounds

Cheers, I thought this too, but have rubbish spatial awareness so confused myself that it wasn't secure.

Howard

30 seconds with a hacksaw. Do not lock your bike in this way.

Jezston

Über Member
I'd have thought a thief would probably not bother nicking a bike that he'd have to heavily damage to steal. Hardly going to get five quid for a small rock of crack off a bike that someone's going to have to do work on.

Howard

You would think that, but you'd be very wrong. The scrottes doing the grunt work sell the bikes on at a pittance to someone else who then fixes them up / resprays / swaps parts and then sells them. These people have tonnes of spare parts lying around.

If you don't believe that, how would you explain all the wheels you see d-locked to railings, where the bike's been pinched leaving the wheel still attached?

Howard

Right chaps I'll assume you don't have broadband and didn't watch the video, where in thirty seconds a hack saw is used to chop the wheel in half.

Actually guys it's eighteen seconds. If you come to London, I hope your bike is insured.

Howard

Yeah, you would think that an incomplete or damaged bike wouldn't be worth much, but the truth is any stolen bike isn't worth much to the person who steals it. The vast majority of stolen bikes get sold on at a pittance - £40 guess is about right - regardless of quality / completeness to someone else who then fixes / resprays / swaps parts and then sells them on via ebay / gumtree as "legit" for around five times the price they paid for it. These people have spare (also stolen) wheels coming out of their ears. It's an organised crime.

I already explained this:

You would think that, but you'd be very wrong. The scrottes doing the grunt work sell the bikes on at a pittance to someone else who then fixes them up / resprays / swaps parts and then sells them. These people have tonnes of spare parts lying around.

If you don't believe that, how would you explain all the wheels you see d-locked to railings, where the bike's been pinched leaving the wheel still attached?

Bikes are also stolen to order, in a similar fashion and the scrottes are willing to change a few parts here and there when the 'customer' is paying a premium.

Please don't use the Sheldon method to lock your bike - you are asking for trouble. Any locking method that can be defeated with a hack saw in less than a minute is an epic fail.

On a side note, £40 for eighteen seconds work seems like a good deal to me.

Top Bottom