1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small things make a difference...

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Noodley, 12 Mar 2008.

1. Noodley

Noodley Guest

I have been having a quite frustrating time at work recently, and today my line manager came into my office and said she really appreciated my efforts. She then gave me a cycling magazine and a cycling DVD and said she hoped I would enjoy them.

Small things do make a differnce.

2. Aw, that's nice. Things like that always make everything worthwhile. I don't think it's a particularly small thing, either; she obviously appreciates you enough to have noticed what one of your interests is, and she's responded to it. That's lovely.

3. longers

longers Veteran

;). It's the little things like that that are priceless.

I used to work for a small firm where money was tight and the lads worked flat out to try and make a go of it. The boss was not a people person and could not give the lads a simple thankyou. I had many discussions with him on this matter but he simply could not do it.

A thankyou costs nowt but goes a long way.
    Cycling mags and DVDs cost a bit more ;).

4. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

She was taking the piss, of course... ;) :smile:

5. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Man-Machine

My manager bought me a croissant on Tuesday!;)

6. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

So now you are fully preapred for the re-shuffle:biggrin: When it happens in a couple of weeks, and you are re-shuffled out the door, the last words you will hear are her saying "I don't understand why he didn't see it coming. I bought him that CD and magazine with ideas for long tours through the summer.....":biggrin:

7. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

I only work with one other person and he just called me a knobhead. My self esteem is a an all time low - i may spit in his tea:evil:

8. i only work for myself:sad: i just brought myself a £2000 bike as a late christmas bonus:thumbsup:

9. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

The amount of hours you've been putting in Noodley you should have at least got a blow job out of it! ;)

10. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

He tried but discovered he isn't that flexible !

11. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

It was my birthday last week. They have a 'secret' whip-round and usually buy a bottle of wine and some chocolates.

My boss went to the trouble of finding a bike shop and asking them what would be a good present. I got a pair of arm warmers and some self-adhesive patches.

The presents were ideal, but the fact that she had gone to that much effort meant more.

12. Maz

Maz Guru

i was leaving sainsburys the other day and the weather was filthy blustery rain etc...as my arm is in a cast at the mo' i was struggling to do up my jacket zip. the young lad supermarket fella collecting the trolleys saw me and offered his help and zipped me up. very good of him.

i dont think he lifted my wallet...!

13. Noodley

Noodley Guest

I have already experienced the "re-shuffle" and I was shuffled upwards :angry: Next month sees my 48% pay increase compared to November prior to the "re-shuufle" :wacko::biggrin: Pity it is 48% of "not much"

(No new bike, before anyone asks - yet! :rolleyes:)

14. simonali

simonali Über Member

Was it the copy of Cycle Sport with the LA DVD inside. I picked a copy of that up the other day and had to contemplate the purchase for a minute when I caught a look at the price!

15. I must be a cynical old sod. If my line manager, who I despise, bought me a present to do with cycling, i'd say, most emphatically, 'get the f**k out of my private life, b*tch!!'...

But to get a verbal/written thankyou out of the establishment I work for once a year does actually work with me motivation-wise. I'm always liberal with my thank-you's if anyone does anything to help me out, too. As you say, it costs nothing.