Small things that give immense satisfaction?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
No, no one needs to page @Fnaar.

I have two wild bird feeders in my garden, one seeds the other fat balls.

Noticed they were both empty this morning so topped them up, plus filled the water dish.

As soon as I was back in the house I had about 5 littlebirds feeding and one having a bath.

As someone who has owned cats most of her life until my lovely old girl died a couple if years ago, feeding wild birds is a relatively new hobby for me. I love watching them.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The combination of that post title and the mention of "fat balls" early in the post is surely a temptation that he will be unable to resist! :laugh:

As for birds ... I remember when I was young, my mum chucking out stale bread in the back garden for birds to eat. Within seconds, there would be 30 or 40 birds fighting over the crumbs. I have thrown bread out here and it has remained untouched for hours!

potsy

Rambler
Now the cat is in for the winter I put a couple of bird feeders out the other week too, noticed yesterday that they are both now empty though I've yet to actually see any birds eating from them.

Never bothered before but will go fill them up later and see if I can do a bit of twitching ^_^

Dave7

Legendary Member
We got into "bird watching" 5/6 years ago through doing what you have done...........we saw birds we never knew existed and we were hooked (not true twitchers......just enjoy it).
I remember my wife going up to the pet food stall in the market and innocently asking the guy "have you got fat balls"............he didn't blink but I nearly wet myself laughing:laugh:
Bird watching re-kindled my interest in photography and I then developed my web-site.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I remember my wife going up to the pet food stall in the market and innocently asking the guy "have you got fat balls"............he didn't blink but I nearly wet myself laughing:laugh:
That is definitely a case where intonation is significant - "Have you got FAT balls?" would be ok, whereas "Have you got fat BALLS?" might not be ... :whistle:

TVC

Jeanette Krankie.
Have you been to one of her parties then?

Small garden birds are an absolute joy to watch.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Plenty of bird fun to be had at my static caravan, it being beside a tree-lined river in a field.

I was once sitting inside the van when a tit flew through the open window and landed on my head.

It took off when I moved my arms and happily was able to fly straight out of the open door - I had visions of it crashing around inside the caravan.

Most birds have excellent sight, but a blackbird flew straight into the front window of the caravan, leaving a spreadeagled bird shaped mark on the glass.

It flew off without stopping, so was probably uninjured.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
We've got Ivy up one wall of the house that Sparrows roost in and nest through the summer (3 clutches this year) so the birdfeeders are well away from the cats but Sparrows are like Meerkats in that there is always a 'sentry' or 2 on the lookout. The feeders on the front are in an ornamental 'weeping' cherry next to the hedge so they all scuttle into that when the alarm is raised.(It sometimes looks like the hedge is alive with 35-40 in it) We also get the odd Blue-tit and a resident Robin (very territorial) but every now and then a Starling will fall victim to the cats cos they're not quick enough and are too busy fighting each other to worry about Moggies.

We used to feed the birds in our last place. We loved it. We started photographing all of the species that visited us and ended up with more than 20 different species ranging from coal tits and willow tits to bramblings and sparrowhawks (after the small birds but never succeeded in catching any that we saw or saw evidence of), not to mention yellow hammers, a tree creeper, Greater spotted woodpeckers, and it last to us even spotting some small owls visiting the garden. We constructed a photo notice board for family and friends where we labelled each and every bird so they could identify our visitors.

We didn't really notice it at the time, but it started to cost us a fortune in wild bird seed, hulled sunflower seeds, dried fruit, porridge oats and the cheapest day we could find to make up our own fat balls,b using a coconut that we sawed the side off and would hang up full of bird fat mixture. I reckon we were probably spending £50-75 a month feeding those birds!

Top Bottom