Small wheel folding bike advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

Hi all,

A neighbour is buying a narrowboat and likes the idea of having a bike on board for nipping to nearby shops when he's parked up (I know, it's 'moored' :wacko: ). I'm the resident bikey in the area, so he came to me for advice, but I know nothing about these types of bikes.

He hasn't clarified budget just yet, but assuming it's £300 - £500, would that get him anything decent? If not, what is the minimum required to get something worthwhile?

Edit: Just to add, he's not a bikey himself, the bike won't get lots of use and I doubt he'll appreciate or understand the need to spend lots of money.

Thanks,
Dave.

Origamist

Legendary Member
dodgy said:
Hi all,

A neighbour is buying a narrowboat and likes the idea of having a bike on board for nipping to nearby shops when he's parked up (I know, it's 'moored' :wacko: ). I'm the resident bikey in the area, so he came to me for advice, but I know nothing about these types of bikes.

He hasn't clarified budget just yet, but assuming it's £300 - £500, would that get him anything decent? If not, what is the minimum required to get something worthwhile?

Edit: Just to add, he's not a bikey himself, the bike won't get lots of use and I doubt he'll appreciate or understand the need to spend lots of money.

Thanks,
Dave.

How important in the folded size? Does it have to be Brompton/Mezzo small (16" wheels) or can the folded package be a bit bigger? If the latter, you can pick up some very good deals on 20" 2008 Dahons at the moment and £300 - £500 will go a long way. The Mu series is worth looking at.

OP
OP
D

dodgy

Cheers, that's a good start, at least I know the money is in the right bracket. I'll clarify his requirements over a beer tonight :wacko:

jimboalee

Honstly - wouldn't bother with a folder - unless it will be stored internally... from my experience with narrowboats and towpaths, a bigger wheel bike is better, it will depend on how and where the vessel is berthed.

Many narrowboats mount what is basically a "car boot rack" on the stern where it is clear of the rudder, but available for use...

Gudrun

For the budget, he could buy a second hand Mezzo, a high quality 9 speed folder built in Brighton. It's well reviewed by the folding society. I've got one for sale, check out the pics here and see the post on the For Sale site:
You can access the album from the following URL:
http://www.cig.canon-europe.com/a?i=CoicaQCKw0

Password to access the online photo album:
Mezzo

Top Bottom