Smaller chainrings?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vbc

Just thinking of building up my new bike, transferring the 9 speed Ultegra groupset from my old OCR. The chainset is a 30-42-52 triple which I want to down size to a 30-39-50.

Yes, I could get a new Tiagra chainset but I want to adapt what I have and keep the 167.5mm cranks, so any suggestions for new 39 & 50 9 speed chainrings at Ultegra level?

Hope I've understood the question right but I've just changed chainrings on my own Tiagra chainset with mistakes, so hopefully I can help you avoid the same ones.

I think I'm right in saying you won't get Shimano rings in 39. So my advice is look at the TA rings. In particular make sure you get a TA middle which has the Shimano profiled ramps on to help chainshift. I didn't and funnily enough it doesn't work :biggrin: Soon to be rectified.

Using chainrings other than Shimano might slightly alter your shifting effeciency, especially under pressure but the TA seem to be designed to work with Shimano chainsets so hopefully they won't. You also need to have a certain tooth gap to avoid rubbing problems but that combination should be fine. I think it's below an 8 teeth jump which might cause you problems.

And finally: If you find a TA middle in 38/39 in stock, can you let me know where :biggrin:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Stronglight rings are great. I'm running 48/38/24 on a Sora and the change is as sweet as. The middle has no ramps or nothing, but it still changes like a good'un. :angry:

Top Bottom