Smaller frame and higher seat position or vice versa? What is better?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Edge705

My Two penneth for what it’s worth I bought a small frame 52cm last year I have always been medium generally 54 I’m almost a carbon copy of the OP in terms of measurement apart from being half inch taller. I measured myself Head to toe and then arms outstretched finger to finger across the width. I’m longer width wise than length wise. I noticed on the small frame I did not get a comfortable feeling and I’m not talking back or any other pain. I felt less stable cornering on the smaller frame I felt much more crunched up even though I extended the stem I did not suit the frame geometry at all I soon reverted back to 54 or medium in the end. In conclusion if you’re in between sizes and your width is longer than head to toe I guess the larger of the two sizes was the better fit for me

musa

Über Member
Tbh you need to jump on a few bikes. It differs from manufactures. Specialized medium is cannondales large

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I also have a big saddle to bar drop due to my Froom-esque proportions, it is also the reason that despite being low on my TT bike when in aero position, when I get up on the outriggers to corner or brake I am too upright.

If I was to choose a frame according to inside length or any other singular measurement my bike would be unbearable to ride!

Chris S

Legendary Member
I'm 6 foot and I used to ride a bike with a 20'' frame and high seat. Not only did I look like a circus clown but I was hunched up (it had a shorter crossbar) and I also kept banging my knees on the handlebars when I turned. I now ride a bike with a 24" frame, it's 2kg heavier but a lot more ergonomic. I can pedal more efficiently, faster and for longer.

Top Bottom