Smart meters.....what's the latest thinking ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
My situation is......the gas meter is on an outside wall and maybe 18" from the ground...... tucked in a corner.
As I have got older it has become more difficult to get down and even MORE difficult to get back up.
My thinking is that a smart meter will solve the problem.......am I correct ?
Edit......
Would it be possible to get the meter raised higher ?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
My situation is......the gas meter is on an outside wall and maybe 18" from the ground...... tucked in a corner.
As I have got older it has become more difficult to get down and even MORE difficult to get back up.
Edit......

https://www.checkatrade.com/blog/cost-guides/cost-moving-gas-meter/

Edit......

Is there something you could fettle together with a mirror on a stick, or your phone on a selfy stick?

Alternatively, do you have someone that would perhaps help and read it for you?

postman

Legendary Member
Is there something you could fettle together with a mirror on a stick, or your phone on a selfy stick?

Alternatively, do you have someone that would perhaps help and read it for you?
Just give me an hour i will pop in to the shed and knocksomething up.One hour later here i am and i have built this fine looking fella,Going to call him Bert,what he does he goes to every house and reads the meter,saving the customer doing it,this is the next big thing,this time next year i will be a millionare,and i will have reduced the unemployment figures,i might even get a Knighthood.I am going tocall it a meter reader guy or girl.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I may be having a smart meter fitted at the end of the month, I say may as there maybe a problem with the distant between the gas meter and the electric meter and my flat.
I was with npower which went over to E.ON and in the agreement I was told I will have to have a smart meter.

Sharky

Guru
Do you have a smart phone or camera? I have a similar problem. My metres are high in the garage, over my many bikes. I can't get to them without moving stuff out of the way. But I can reach near enough to take a photo with my mobile.

I’ve found the IHD aspect of the smart meter very helpful on occasions, for example when a freezer was inadvertently switched off. Once you have a feel for your normal base consumption, any digression can make you think and investigate items unexpectedly on or off.

Really can’t sign up to the paranoia some seem to suffer

Mike_P

Guru
I may be having a smart meter fitted at the end of the month, I say may as there maybe a problem with the distant between the gas meter and the electric meter and my flat.
Its taken Shell Energy the best of a year to get my gas smartmeter talking to the electrical one and hence communicating its data - an original excuse they came up with was being probably too far apart when in fact they are next to each other.

Top Bottom