Smart meters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
As an extra - I have wondered if you could disable the comms by putting a faraday type cage around it
one of those bags that protect keyless car keys would probably do it

maybe

Very possibly. But why would you?

And that would probably result (eventually) in the energy company sending somebody to find out what was wrong with the meter.

Windle

Über Member
Same as me Foss. First day of every month I read the meters and submit the readings, without fail.

And me too, they get a reading every month so they're always up to date.
I also had a period of pestering from a previous electricity supplier about getting a smart meter, what pee'd me off the most was the attitude & wording ~ I had a text one day advising me that they 'urgently needed to make an appointment to fit my new, free smart meter'! Wow, they're offering me a new one! When everyone else must just get an old secondhand one, and it's free!!
I don't want it, get in the ruddy sea with it. Shysters the lot of' em.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Don't know about the downright lies, but they are required by the government to get as many people as they possibly can onto smart meters, so I think you'll find that the pressure tactics and harassment are legitimate.

But the government have not mandated compulsory smart meters (yet!), so they can't tell you that you MUST have one, unless and until your existing meter reaches the end of its life.

If and when your existing meter reaches the end of it life, then you must have a smart meter, as nothing else is allowed to be installed any more.

I believe there are some suppliers with tariffs where the terms and conditions mandate a smart meter, but, of course, you are free to choose another tariff.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I don't know hoew I will get on. We live in a property built in the 50's. When the kitchen was gutted and a new one fitted they mounted the electricity meter and fuse board in a wall unit. Unfortunately the incoming mains fuse is in the wall behind the tiled splashback. 😮

I don't know hoew I will get on. We live in a property built in the 50's. When the kitchen was gutted and a new one fitted they mounted the electricity meter and fuse board in a wall unit. Unfortunately the incoming mains fuse is in the wall behind the tiled splashback. 😮

Is that even legal????
by legal - I'm not sure that is the right word - but I would woory about them insisting that it needs to be accessible and you having to change the kitchen to make it so.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Is that even legal????
by legal - I'm not sure that is the right word - but I would woory about them insisting that it needs to be accessible and you having to change the kitchen to make it so.

I think I will have to cut some sort of access panel so the mains fuse can be pulled. Perhaps Dremel the grout around a section of the tiled splashback then use a padsaw. I'm still pondering the best solution.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I think I will have to cut some sort of access panel so the mains fuse can be pulled. Perhaps Dremel the grout around a section of the tiled splashback then use a padsaw. I'm still pondering the best solution.

Padsaw, buried electrical cables, hmm, I trust Mrs T has knowledge of your PIN numbers, and, knows where the Insurance Policies are ;)

Drago

Legendary Member
Is that even legal????

Yes, mine is the same. My SiL is a sparky and inspected it on my behalf before I signed the new kitchen off as satisfactory.

Apparently with these modern systems with RCD fuses there is no real emergency imperative for gaining access as it will trip and protect the item or circuit in question. Not like the old systems where the fuse wire would often not blow.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Padsaw, buried electrical cables, hmm, I trust Mrs T has knowledge of your PIN numbers, and, knows where the Insurance Policies are ;)

I've access from above and can see down the wall cavity to the incoming main and the service fuse. It's only about 3" to the top of the service fuse and there aren't any adjacent cables and I'll be able to see everything from above.
Having said that, I've no immediate need for Smart Meters though that might change if I go down the PV / Home Battery route.

presta

Guru
Go into a quiet house near the rising main and you can often hear if there's a leak in the communication pipe.
My water meter's out in the drive, but you can hear it whirring from inside the house when the water's running.
Don't want one myself and will resist.
I'd really like one, particularly if I can get data from it into Excel, but I just don't want one enough to overcome my scepticism over their reliability.
If and when your existing meter reaches the end of it life, then you must have a smart meter, as nothing else is allowed to be installed any more.
The same's going to happen with copper phone lines in 18 days. Openreach have put a stop-sell on new lines, and on repairs of faulty ones from 5.9.23, unless there's no fibre available at the property.

Tenkaykev

Guru
My water meter's out in the drive, but you can hear it whirring from inside the house when the water's running.

I'd really like one, particularly if I can get data from it into Excel, but I just don't want one enough to overcome my scepticism over their reliability.

The same's going to happen with copper phone lines in 18 days. Openreach have put a stop-sell on new lines, and on repairs of faulty ones from 5.9.23, unless there's no fibre available at the property.

Friend has her 98 year old mom living at home. BT sent her an adaptor for the existing line. She rang them and asked about her mum's Lifeline compatibility, they've told her not to change anything and leave things as they are.

presta

Guru
It seems I'm getting a smart water meter soon, whether I want it or not. They're installing them in "areas where there's significant water stress".

Top Bottom