Smart phone mapping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I could be totally wrong but I thought for RWGPS you had to use the web (PC) interface to plan routes and the app (phone) to follow them. The OP wants to be able to plan on the phone.

I'm a premium member and I have the app (but rarely use it), and the app (my version at least) doesn't do route planning.

But I have been repeatedly proven to be an idiot, so don't set too much stock by that.
No you're probably right and that may be the reason I ended up with Komoot as it's the only phone app which does routing on the fly. I can't actually remember now.

Besides which I nearly always bow to the knowledge of people who say they could be wrong, it generally means they're not.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
@Dogtrousers and @Crackle are both right. RWGPS is a very reliable importer/exporter of files but you need to plan from a PC or MAC.

Strava have been trialling a ‘swipe’ route planner from your phone. It’s ‘interesting’.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Hi,

I don't want to use my 800 for mapping, I don't have a PC only a works laptop which I try not to use for anything not work related.
So the explore was good as it didn't need Internet and would re route or get me home. But since that's the only advantage over my current set up, and I can always use maps on my iPhone if needed it just didn't seem worth the money. I also,like using my vivoactive to record the ride, long battery life and HR built in (although questionable when cycling) with my 800 as back up and easy reading of distance etc.

So if I can get an app which will help with pre or during ride routing I think I have all bases covered. When my vivoactive has had it I may upgrade my 800 then.

So this app looks promising, £20 for life is pretty good, I guess the app is free?

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Just joined and downloaded the map, looks good so will probably pay the £20 for world maps

Looks like it will give me what I need, it's rare I use these features but when I do it's good to have the option

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
@Crackle
I've not used it, although I did take the plunge just now for £20. Meant to hook up well with Wahoo

Had a chance to play with it yet? I'm still contemplating paying the £20

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Just tried an App some on YACF are wittering on about called EASYROUTE.

And it’s just that: SO easy! Especially sending it to your phone and using touchscreens. I’m off to play.
All the reviews talk about downloading to a garmin or similar, does it work direct from the phone?

All the reviews talk about downloading to a garmin or similar, does it work direct from the phone?

You can download to a gps device or follow the route from the phone. The phone has issues to do screen visibility and inclement weather.

Thanks, I've just spent time planning a route, it works offline when you pay your money so that should save on data and I guess battery?
To the best of my knowledge it does not let you plan routes offline - you need an internet connection, I think you can follow a route you made previously if offline.
Any phone running gps & displaying your route will run down your battery faster. Look at options like "waking up" for turns etc.

The "offer" for the maps runs almost tot he end of April. Lots of time to download your free region and test it out.

tom73

Guru
Easy route looks interesting have to have a play. Says offers in app purchases any know what's not free?
Works with Apple watch is another plus.

Top Bottom