1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smart rechargeables

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by Elmer Fudd, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

Anybody have any experience of these ? On paper (? xx() they look OK, any off road I do is gentle stuff so I won't be bouncing them about all over the place. Just thinking now I've moved up here might be better off with a "see" light than a "be seen" light.

2. longers

longers Veteran

I have a pair of these (7 or 8 yrs old). I used them quite a lot and they were a very good pair of lights. They sat in a wardrobe for a couple of years and now the battery is dead (I think). IMO they should do a very good job for you.
    I'm going to try to resurrect mine with a new battery if it's possible.

3. PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim New Member

There's a thead on the old ACF forum in which people seem pretty happy with them.

These Knightlite 2200 Twin lights look quite similar, but they've got one 5W and one 10W bulb, so you can stick with a lower power / greater run time when you've got streetlighting. I'm quite tempted, at £20 including packaging they look like a very good deal.

Having said that though.. The reviews off that page seem a bit mixed.

4. gbb

gbb Legendary Member

I have the Cateye 10W/10W version, similar in many ways.
    I find then perfectly good for 1 or 2 hour rides on one lamp only. Rarely ever needed to burn both lamps together, and much of my riding is on unlit country B roads...darker than a dark thingy xx(:biggrin:

Keep the battery charged, dont overcharge it (assuming its a lead acid battery), they are ok for the money.

5. longers

longers Veteran

That might explain how I broke my battery.xx(

6. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

I have some of these, in the 10w/2.5w incarnation. I have ridden for hours on the 2.5w lamp, only putting on the 10w when needed. I mean hours and hours, about 7 or 8!!!!! They are so good I bought my wife some for christmas 3 years ago:wacko: (Among other things naturally!!)

I got mine from SJSC, and they were half the price of other retailers for the same system. A very good system for not much money. I rdie with a guy who bought a Lupine (I think). His lights cost more than my bike by about £95:ohmy:

7. alfablue

alfablue New Member

I think the Maplin 6v 2.5ah SLA is equivalent to the Smart one, £6.99. To avoid overcharging I use a plug-in 24hr timer, about £3.

8. OP
    OP
    Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

Would that be darker than a dark thingy that's really dark ?

9. col

col Veteran

In county dark,near the dark city?

10. PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim New Member

11. longers

longers Veteran

thanks alfablue, I will look into that.
    The 24hr timer is a good idea, I used to use one for that purpose (then forgot :blush:).

12. alfablue

alfablue New Member

You're welcome.

I suppose a 7 day timer might be even better if you don't use it every day, then there is no chance of it charging a second time if you forget to disconnect it within a day.

13. alfablue

alfablue New Member

Oh, I think I said it wrong, its the 6v 4.5ah battery (not 2.5)