Smart rechargeables

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Anybody have any experience of these ? On paper (? xx() they look OK, any off road I do is gentle stuff so I won't be bouncing them about all over the place. Just thinking now I've moved up here might be better off with a "see" light than a "be seen" light.

longers

Legendary Member
I have a pair of these (7 or 8 yrs old). I used them quite a lot and they were a very good pair of lights. They sat in a wardrobe for a couple of years and now the battery is dead (I think). IMO they should do a very good job for you.
I'm going to try to resurrect mine with a new battery if it's possible.

gbb

Legendary Member
I have the Cateye 10W/10W version, similar in many ways.
I find then perfectly good for 1 or 2 hour rides on one lamp only. Rarely ever needed to burn both lamps together, and much of my riding is on unlit country B roads...darker than a dark thingy xx(:biggrin:

Keep the battery charged, dont overcharge it (assuming its a lead acid battery), they are ok for the money.

alfablue

longers said:
I have a pair of these (7 or 8 yrs old). I used them quite a lot and they were a very good pair of lights. They sat in a wardrobe for a couple of years and now the battery is dead (I think). IMO they should do a very good job for you.
I'm going to try to resurrect mine with a new battery if it's possible.
I think the Maplin 6v 2.5ah SLA is equivalent to the Smart one, £6.99. To avoid overcharging I use a plug-in 24hr timer, about £3.

PrettyboyTim

By the way, I just noticed that as well as auctioning those lights, SJS have some on 'buy it now' for £19.99 + £7.50 P&P, which will probably work out cheaper than bidding on them.

I've just ordered a set.

longers

Legendary Member
alfablue said:
I think the Maplin 6v 2.5ah SLA is equivalent to the Smart one, £6.99. To avoid overcharging I use a plug-in 24hr timer, about £3.

thanks alfablue, I will look into that.
The 24hr timer is a good idea, I used to use one for that purpose (then forgot :blush:).

alfablue

You're welcome.

I suppose a 7 day timer might be even better if you don't use it every day, then there is no chance of it charging a second time if you forget to disconnect it within a day.

Top Bottom