Smart watch for wife.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
You might have convinced me :laugh:
It last's way longer then they say. You can get even more out of it if you turn of the bits you don't need to have running all the time.

Apple watch maybe not cheep but it's a great bit of kit and you no longer need a iPhone the last watch iOS made it work without one.
If you go down the fit route remember google now own them they don't have a great track recored at keeping stuff separate.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
It last's way longer then they say. You can get even more out of it if you turn of the bits you don't need to have running all the time.

Apple watch maybe not cheep but it's a great bit of kit and you no longer need a iPhone the last watch iOS made it work without one.
If you go down the fit route remember google now own them they don't have a great track recored at keeping stuff separate.
I’ve got a Garmin Forerunner that I wear 24/7. It can log a couple of rides or runs, track step, heart rate and sleep continuously for around a week so not sure if it’s just gadget envy to be honest! :laugh:

dodgy

Just reading DC Rainmaker's review of the Apple Watch 5 and he has criticised its battery life due to the 'always on' nature of the display. He reckons the AW 4 was the best (this is the one I have), so perhaps if i was in the market now I'd bare this in mind and maybe go without or buy something else.

OP
OP
Venod

Venod

Eh up
Withings is the way to go if you don't want to look like a person who wears a fitness watch (8,621 steps so far today, for 3.84 miles ^_^). Much cleverer than they look, iyswim. Battery lasts donkeys (as in many months) which is useful.

https://www.withings.com/uk/en/watches

It was worth the OP just for this link, which is a brand I had not heard of, but shall definitely consider, some interesting watches.

PaulB

Legendary Member
There's alway the donkey's bollocks method of telling the time.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21mLECfpv3M

Mr Celine

Discordian
Withings is the way to go if you don't want to look like a person who wears a fitness watch (8,621 steps so far today, for 3.84 miles ^_^). Much cleverer than they look, iyswim. Battery lasts donkeys (as in many months) which is useful.

https://www.withings.com/uk/en/watches
I too have a withings watch, or Nokia as it was when I was given it.
The only good thing about this watch is the battery life, which as you say is months.

It has a step counter which records about two thirds of the steps I actually take.
It claimed on the box to have a continuous heart rate monitor but the screen goes off after a few seconds, so this is no use at all.
The app shows a vague squigly line with your heart rate but no useful data.
The software has updated recently and can now automatically tell me that I've been cycling. FFS why do I need a watch to tell me I've been cycling?
The sleep function seems completely random, I can sleep for seven hours straight and it might show only four hours or more often twelve, most of the time I'm watching TV or on the interweb it thinks I'm asleep.

Had I known where it was bought I'd have taken it back a long time ago.

Mrs Celine has a fitbit. It's far better.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
You have a broken one I think.

Seriously, they are very accurate IME, having checked and measured. Speak to Withings. Re continuous heart monitor, isn't it supposed to go off after a few secs, to be refreshed at a touch?

I also find sleep helpful, and what it records does tie in with how refreshed or otherwise I feel.

Last edited:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
fitbit versa 2. my other half has one and is happy with it as she can compete with colleagues in step challenges. looks like an apple watch at a glance.

i prefer my garmin vivoactive 4 as it has proper gps...

OP
OP
Venod

Venod

Eh up
You have a broken one I think.

Seriously, they are very accurate IME, having checked and measured. Speak to Withings. Re continuous heart monitor, isn't it supposed to go off after a few secs, to be refreshed at a touch?

I also find sleep helpful, and what it records does tie in with how refreshed or otherwise I feel.

I got the wife a 36mm Steel HR, Blue face and strap with a Rose Gold case it was 20% off. I was impressed with the simplicity and minimalist style and claimed battery life, so I bought myself one, 40mm black with Sapphire Glass again 20% off.

Last edited:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Nice choices, I wish you much pleasure in their wearing ^_^

By the way, if you specced a leather strap, you may, as I did, find it rather impractical for 24-hour wear, so might be minded to go for a silicone strap. If so, eBay is your friend, as opposed to the rather expensive Withings prices - lots of choice and very cheap indeed, and little or no difference to teh Withings iteams.

Last edited:
Top Bottom