Smartphone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gwylan

Veteran
This is the third phone recently.

Previous items were victims of an overdose of gravity.
Two fell off the bike holder because I forgot to use the elastic bungee thing. You would think I would learn after the first one.

One got dropped because I'm old and incompetent.

Anyway, suggestions from the panel for a replacement. Budget £130.

Currently using a Motorola G10, recent favourite was the Moto G31.
Have a drop proof case for G31. Don't even ask, it was vanity.

Because I bought a Cowboy eBike I need a smartphone to run the bike. It seemed such a great idea. There is a hot reboot, but.

Welcome to my corner of the other universe.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm not sure I understand why you need a smartphone to make an ebike work but hey ho.

You've used Motorola in the past, as have I, and it would be my first port of call for a budget phone. Within the family we've had four Motorolas and found them excellent. I'd take a lot of convincing to try something else.

Re mounting a phone on the bike. I'm sure you know but this is exactly why using a phone mounted on handlebars is a very bad idea despite all the promises made by numerous phone holders. Can it go in your pocket, rucksack etc?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I bought a new MotoG 5G max for I think £240. Mostly becasue of the larger screen and the 5000mAh battery. But both mine and my partner's have been plagued with minor bugs from the outset. Nothing too bad but very annoying, I'd stay away from that one as it was their first (flagship) 5G phone. Places callers on hold randomly, but then fixes itself for 6 months, then reverts back to old bugs!

I got my son a Samsung Galaxy S9 (ebay refurbished with 12 months guarantee). For £140 it's a smaller but better phone. Also consider an S8 which again used would be cheaper.

It's either that or get an unbranded one; Asda sell a few in store, and take a chance if you might break it again. Bangernomics

OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
I'm not sure I understand why you need a smartphone to make an ebike work but hey ho.

Well, it does. It's a safety security device.
At first sight it's a wonderful, amazing, great, innovative idea.
Six months in it can be a pita.

Also the phone runs the navigation and feeds back data, like remaining battery and so on.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Moto's seem to be the cheap smartphone of choice. I've decided to splash out this time and my Samsung S20FE is being replaced by the S23 Ultra next week. Looking forward to the incredible photo's it can take.

Alex321

Veteran
I have always found my Samsung phones to be pretty robust, although I usually do keep them in a resin case. I did manage to crack the screen on my previous model by dropping it without the case, but it actually carried on working for two full years with the cracked screen.

The galaxy A02s is within your budget.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get yourself a decent case for your new phone. Despite having a very 'thin' phone, I always put it in a flip case with some decent padding. I've done this since cracking a screen with the phone in my pocket. Out on the bike, the phone goes in a rucksack/panniers. Never in a pocket.

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
A reinforced case is definitely the way to go; I’ve a hand me down iPhone that’s been dropped numerous times and is still good to go although a little battered in places!

Top Bottom