smartphones on handlebars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Many people already have a smartphone but not a bike computer.

A decent bike computer can easily cost £200 plus and can be hard to justify when the phone can already do most of what the computer will.
except using a phone for GPS navigation on a longish ride will kill the battery so it then cant be used as a phone in emergency / for convenience / for taking photo's etc. whereas your garmin etc battery life is much much better

Alex321

Veteran
except using a phone for GPS navigation on a longish ride will kill the battery so it then cant be used as a phone in emergency / for convenience / for taking photo's etc. whereas your garmin etc battery life is much much better
A very good point. I hadn't really considered that, as almost all the rides I did with the smartpone were under 2 hours.

le_al_khemista

If a company like Apple themselves come out and say "guys, it's not safe to use our phone as a gps navigation tool" this to me says one thing and one thing only: Apple will soon launch their own gps navigation tool or at least a new phone that is "now safe to use on a bike!!!".

Classic Apple business model if you ask me: they're exploiting a problem that may or may not even exist in order to create a need for a new product. And yes, all the apple fanclub chumps will jump to the opportunity to buy this new thing.

I think you might be onto something here...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7I2l_bs4u0

Top Bottom