SMIDSY becoming enshrined in law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Recycler

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/bike-blog/2012/jan/27/hgv-cyclists-safety-bike-blog

What, exactly, were you referring to when you used the word "laughable"? I keep asking and you keep ignoring the question. Something in the Huffington link?

I've explained it several times already. I haven't ignored it at all. Your argument (as in "stance" "position" "hypotheseis") is laughable. You have built it on sand rather than properly argued and supported foundations.

Recycler

1883801 said:
For someone who registered yesterday you have picked up an awful lot of history very quickly.

He said earlier that he has been lurking for sometime. Nothing wrong with that is there?

OP
OP
D

dawesome

Your argument (as in "stance" "position" "hypotheseis") is laughable. You have built it on sand rather than properly argued and supported foundations.

I know. You keep saying that. I keep asking which part. You keep ignoring the question. It's like saying "That's rubbish" over and over again without saying why. You refuse to explain what you mean. But you're not a troll.

Recycler

I know. You keep saying that. I keep asking which part. You keep ignoring the question. It's like saying "That's rubbish" over and over again without saying why. You refuse to explain what you mean. But you're not a troll.

I'm sorry, but I have explained it many times already and I'm sure that others can understand what I am saying.
Please desist from the "troll" accusation and other petty insults. They are both untrue and unhelpful in this discussion.

Recycler

Would it not be theoretically possible to have mirrors on HGV's that auto-readjust according to the angle of the cab with the trailer? All you need is the optimum mirror position when the cab and trailer are in a straight line, and the angle of cab to trailer when making a turn, and it should be possible to calculate a new mirror position which has the field of vision remaining down to the back of the trailer, not at the trailer. Do such mirrors exist?

Perhaps a convex mirror similar to security mirrors which we see in shops would do the job? Effectively a "wide angle" mirror.

OP
OP
D

dawesome

Which part of the argument is laughable, something Ross Lydall said? The Huff Post link?

Specifically, British Cycling is asking for the following issues to be addressed:
  • A comprehensive review of the way that the police, coroners investigate these cases. Crash investigation processes vary from force to force and coroners’ evaluation of evidence is inconsistent across the country. Victim and their families frequently find they have little or no information on how the case is proceeding and what, if any, charges are being considered and why.
  • Review of the CPS charging standards and legal guidance to properly deal with the seriousness of incidents where road users are killed or injured. It often appears that the CPS chooses to go for inappropriately lighter charges or no charge at all.
  • A full examination of the offences available to the CPS. The offence of causing ‘death by careless driving’ came into effect four years ago and its effectiveness should now be reviewed, in conjunction with other related offences. We believe that the threshold for the more serious ' causing death by dangerous driving' offence may be too high which is contributing to a large proportion of cases being charged as 'causing death by careless driving.'
  • A review of the sentencing guidelines to ensure they adequately reflect the consequences of the offence. Assault cases were reviewed and extensively revised by the Sentencing Council last year to enable the courts to take greater account of the harm suffered by the victim. We believe that harm caused to road users and the impact on their families should be specifically dealt with in a similar way. The new offence of ‘causing serious injury by dangerous driving’ which has been recently introduced provides an opportunity to review guidelines across the suite of offences.
British Cycling says that so far this year it has twice approached the Lord Chief Justice, President of the Sentencing Council, regarding sentencing, but has not received a response, and says “it’s time for the government to engage with us on these important matters which are central to developing a safe environment that encourages people to cycle.”

ibid. Think of it in purely financial terms, every road death costs £1.6m, a full cctv rig to eliminate blind spots costs £450, more than I thought, but not a huge amount. What's laughable about comparing the figures?

Recycler

It hardly comes as a surprise to hear that drivers speed on the road and I can confidently predict that other road users do so as well. Car drivers, motorcyclists and vans speed; probably more so than lorries.

I can also confidently predict that cyclists RLJ, ride on pavements, don't use lights at night and go the wrong way down one-way streets.

I really don't know why you are making such an issue about lorries. You are more likely to be hit by a car, but you seem to ignore that.

Recycler

You could answer the question, then nobody would think you're trolling.

It's only you that seems to think I am trolling.
I have answered the question...several times. You may want to refuse to accept my answer but it is time for you to move on. Just read what I have already said.....several times.

sandman

Would it not be theoretically possible to have mirrors on HGV's that auto-readjust according to the angle of the cab with the trailer? All you need is the optimum mirror position when the cab and trailer are in a straight line, and the angle of cab to trailer when making a turn, and it should be possible to calculate a new mirror position which has the field of vision remaining down to the back of the trailer, not at the trailer. Do such mirrors exist?

There is already such a thing on the cab which is a wide angle mirror of which you can see the trailer make when you make a turn.

If properly adjusted it gives a wide view and you can still see the trailer as you make the turn.

Ultimately though, the mirros would be checked prior to moving off.

The mirror signal maneuver is further broken down to position, speed, look.

sandman

It hardly comes as a surprise to hear that drivers speed on the road and I can confidently predict that other road users do so as well. Car drivers, motorcyclists and vans speed; probably more so than lorries.

I can also confidently predict that cyclists RLJ, ride on pavements, don't use lights at night and go the wrong way down one-way streets.

I really don't know why you are making such an issue about lorries. You are more likely to be hit by a car, but you seem to ignore that.

Indeed, it would be interesting see the amount of cyclist deaths caused by road users as a % then compare these to HGV's.

OP
OP
D

dawesome

Indeed, it would be interesting see the amount of cyclist deaths caused by road users as a % then compare these to HGV's.

Experts are calling for a ban on heavy goods vehicles in Britain's cities after a study found that despite making only 4% of road trips they were involved in 43% ofLondon'scyclingdeaths.

Researchers from the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) analysedpolice road casualty data over a 15-year period from 1992 to 2006. During that period there were 242 deaths in London, or an average of 16 a year. Heavy goods vehicles were involved in 103 out of 242 of these incidents.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/bike-blog/2010/nov/18/hgv-city-ban-to-protect-cyclists

sandman

You see, that's recycler's tactic of shrieking "That's rubbish" and then refusing to explain why.

LOL, I gonna give you one last go. Show me the stats that cover the entire country and show cyclist deaths in accordance to what they were hit by thus being a KSI as a %.

Because I'm willing to bet a penny to a pound that the figures even themselves out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom