'SMIDSY' - By phone!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My cycling pal Bill came round yesterday with a report on his narrow escape from injury.

He had been riding up the A6033 from Todmorden towards Littleborough when he came up to the junction with the Bacup Rd which emerges under a railway viaduct on the right.

Bacup Rd viaduct.jpg

Bill spotted a van coasting up to the stop sign and made eye contact with the driver. Yes, you can guess what happened next ...

The van shot out and came straight at Bill, who swerved left as far as he could. He said that his tyre was rubbing the kerb when the nearside front of the van sideswiped him. He was swatted off the road and collided with the corner of that building next to the road.

The van shot off but another van driver and a taxi driver who had witnessed the incident stopped to help. One of the drivers took Bill's phone number and set off in pursuit of the errant van driver.

The other driver checked that Bill was ok. He was groggy and shaken up but miraculously had suffered nothing more than a few scratches and bruises. Even his bike had escaped almost unscathed!

A few minutes later his phone rang, unknown caller ... "Hey, someone just stopped me and said that I knocked you off your bike back at the Bacup Road junction - SORRY MATE, I DIDN'T SEE YOU!" :wacko:

Bill made a few choice suggestions on how his driving could be improved (:laugh:) and decided to leave it at that. Given that there were no injuries or damage to his bike, then he didn't think that the police would be interested.

I actually think that he should have reported the driver. There were 2 witnesses to the bad driving. If there had been a report against him then surely that could help build a case against him in the event of a subsequent more serious incident?

Ha - while using Street view to capture the image above, I spotted this ... Obviously, the van driver didn't! (If he wasn't even paying enough attention to avoid a cyclist, then any approaching motorcyclist would have been in mortal danger!) LOOK. LOOK AGAIN!

Look look again.jpg

alicat

Legendary Member
That's a hit and run. The police will be very interested.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

That's a hit and run. The police will be very interested.

Report it. Police are targeting bad drivers in your area at present.
I agree with you both, but I don't think Bill got the registration number of the van or even the telephone numbers of the witnesses.

Actually, he should have one number (unless it was withheld) - the number of the phone that rang him. That would either have been the phone of the pursuant driver or that of the errant driver.

alicat

Legendary Member
Actually, he should have one number (unless it was withheld) - the number of the phone that rang him. That would either have been the phone of the pursuant driver or that of the errant driver.

Yes, and can he remember the name of the taxi firm or was there a logo on the van? It should be fairly easy to trace the vehicle.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

One way or the other he seems to have made up his mind that in reality nothing would be done about it, so he is making do with having given the driver a tongue-lashing by phone! (I don't suppose the guy was bothered by that. It seems unlikely that he would have been unaware of the collision so I think he just took fright and skedaddled. He probably only made the call because the other driver told him to.)

classic33

Leg End Member
One way or the other he seems to have made up his mind that in reality nothing would be done about it, so he is making do with having given the driver a tongue-lashing by phone! (I don't suppose the guy was bothered by that. It seems unlikely that he would have been unaware of the collision so I think he just took fright and skedaddled. He probably only made the call because the other driver told him to.)
If he has his number, he could call him whilst he's driving(if he sees the van again). See if he answers.

A very lucky escape (from injury and damage to his bike) for Bill. That junction seems to have a history of lunatic drivers. It was there or to be more accurate about 200 metres up (towards Bacup) that a total 'homicidal' nutter raced in front of me and Thomas (@Starchivore) a couple of years or so ago and wrongly accused us of damaging his car. We hadn't even passed him at all. He was completely out of control and as well as verbal abuse he hurled a heavy industrial door hinge at us that he had in his car! Fortunately it missed us. We reported it to the police on return from our day ride but the police said we needed to have reported it straight after the incident and include the car registration. We were too stressed and shook up by it to do that! Also, not easy to be calm enough to take note of and remember the car reg plate at the time of the incident.

Perhaps that junction would be a 'good' location for CCTV.

Top Bottom