SMIDSY. Grrrrr!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Glad you are Ok Sharky, although I reckon you may have unwanted stiff bits in the morning :whistle:

Very lucky to have people willing to give out their details as witnesses, sounds like everything is going to be well, despite her change in tack.
Back in the 80's I got T-boned by someone who stopped and before even saying sorry, started to pull out a pen and cheque book. The smug smile and attitude changed when I told them a rough price for Ultegra pedals and Wolber Alpine rims - it was swiftly put away with a 'get a quote and talk to me then' type huffy comment. Sounds like this particular lady was similiar.

Good luck but sounds like you are sorted!

Hope you and bike are ok Sh4rky.

Guvnor

Glad to hear your OK fella.:thumbsup:

Make sure you get some photo's of bruising etc just in case it does go any further.

OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Glad you are OK - was it the Garmin that went for flying lessons.....
Yup. :sad:

Mount seems to have snapped, not quite sure how unless it was the computer being snagged by something (my bag / left arm etc.) and ripping it off. Sadly my camera setup hasn't been on for a while as I've been having a few issues with one of the cables, so no video.

Once I have an estimate of the damage I'll get back to her with costs. Should I just pursue this directly with her insurance, or contact her and give her a chance to just pay it? I'm assuming it'll go via insurance though (the computer alone was about £180 IIRC) and that's without any costs for repair/replace levers, bar tape, rear brake, back wheel, tyre(s) (mahoosive skid has left visible damage), bike check etc.

I still look at it quite positively though... it could have been much worse!

karan733

I'd definitely recommend insurance route, that way if anything else comes up you have a legal aide rather than turning up at her doorstep again saying "something else is wrong that I hadnt noticed before..." which I think would get very short shrift.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
As soon as she sees the cost, it will be insurance - you have got CTC or BC ?

Garmin, plus STI levers..... ouch cost !!!

PS any scratched part - OK to have replaced - i.e. if the mech has been scratched up, levers, tyres etc. I had stuff paid for that got scuffed up in my on-going claim - the bike part re-fund was sorted in 6 weeks.

take photo's now......

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I missed this yesterday, hope you are feeling better mate!

Go to A&E and tell them your side hurts and get a note of attendance (you wont be wasting critical time, they will just send you to the walk in clinic), your side hurts, this could be broken ribs or anything. Get an attendance note because the accident report form will ask for either, your own diagnosis (carried little to no weight) a doctors attendance form or a full doctors report. They will also request access to your medical records.

Take photos of the bruising as it develops, and present the most dramatic looking ones.

BTW did you or anyone else go to try and recover the garmin? Probly not there but always the chance its in the gutter or something.chances are slim, but I wouldnt mind running over and having a quick look for you if its somewhere local.

OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Update: Bike has few bits and pieces which need looking at, but nothing major (yay!) but the computer made a successful break for it and escaped without trace. :sad:

I contacted the driver on Friday and a civil conversation was had... well, for about 5 minutes. She asked if I was okay, and I say not too bad, just bruised and aching and then she asked why I was ringing... I said about the costs for repairing the bike etc... she says "what costs? Your bike's fine, I saw you on it the next day"... to which I replied (rapidly getting annoyed with this woman now) "I do have more than one bike, it being my main mode of transport"... :angry:

I detail the costs to her and there's silence, then she says she'll ring me next week after she's spoken to her Husband. I ask her why she needs to speak to her Husband (and can she get back to me by Sunday night as I want to get it sorted asap) and she starts going off on one about my attitude again, and how sarcastic I'm being (eh, I am very sarcastic... no argument there... but I haven't been sarcastic once!!) to which I reply that I'm just asking what she needs to speak to her Husband about - i.e. is it about whether or not they will be paying or whether I need to start going via the Insurance company etc.

She then starts on about there being no damage to her car (lucky her) and that there was clearly enough time for her to get across as I hit the very back of her car so it was pretty much my fault... WTF? I try to calmy explain that "clearly there wasn't time for you to get across if I braked, skidded and still ended up hitting your car as it was blocking my way" but she didn't seem to share the logic on that one...

It ended up with her saying that "it's lucky you're not speaking to my Husband the way you're speaking to me... who do you think you are???" and I finally just say "never mind, I think I'll just go via your Insurance company as clearly you're not going to take any responsibility for your driving"... she starts mouthing off again before I've even finished the sentence... so I hang up on her.

It's fair to say I was a tad annoyed (again)!

Have contacted the Solicitors now and will be leaving it to them. I was quite happy just to get the bike fixed and just put the aches and pains/bruising down as one of life's little experiences... I think I may be detailing my injuries now though as part of the claim.

Hope she gets a nice rise in the cost of her cover for her sporty little Golf TDi as a result! :angry:

crumpetman

I think you are doing the right thing by involving solicitors and the insurance company. If I had an accident and believed it to be my fault I would still put it through the insurance. I see no point in trying to settle it yourself, too much stress and you just cannot trust people to take responsibility.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Fair play to you for trying to sort it out directly with her - that would have been best for both of you if you could have arrived at an amicable agreement.

But, she's shown again that she's an irresponsible idiot who refuses to take any responsibility. So solicitors/insurance it has to be, and it will be worse for her this way.

fossyant

Oh how surprising....... go the legal route if she won't be civil and settle. PS get the full RRP quotes for parts from the LBS/Evans and the like !!!!!

Anything that's scratched because of the accident should be replaced - that part of my claim was all done and dusted in 6 weeks (driver admitted liability), but I suspect the driver will change tact now she has an idea of the cost of just a few parts....... Mine ran to about £300 - helmet, pedals, saddle, bar ends and QR skewers.

Don't talk to her again though ! Let the solicitors sort it.

fossyant

I think you are doing the right thing by involving solicitors and the insurance company. If I had an accident and believed it to be my fault I would still put it through the insurance. I see no point in trying to settle it yourself, too much stress and you just cannot trust people to take responsibility.

And the 'third party' insurance companies can add significantly to stress........

400bhp

Guru
1. "it's lucky you're not speaking to my Husband the way you're speaking to me... who do you think you are???"

2. Have contacted the Solicitors now and will be leaving it to them. I was quite happy just to get the bike fixed and just put the aches and pains/bruising down as one of life's little experiences... I think I may be detailing my injuries now though as part of the claim.

3. Hope she gets a nice rise in the cost of her cover for her sporty little Golf TDi as a result! :angry:

1. You should have replied "the guy you ran over last week":rolleyes: :biggrin:

2. Good lad - stupid woman.

3. I hope that is a sarcastic comment. It's a diseasal.:whistle:

Top Bottom