Smidsy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Sorry Mate I Didn't See You is all.

Top tip - google phrases like this and you can nearly always find out what they mean, and come out looking knowledgeable. :biggrin:

Plax

Guru
Ah, I see.
Nice tip. I'll google next time an pretend I'm super clever :biggrin:

It's funny you should mention a flag. Today, driving the car on the singletrack roads here, which are quite up and down, as i came to the crest of a small hill, what do I see but an orange thing waving about. Odd, I thought and braked and as I came over the crest, there was a recumbent handtrike coming up the other side. Now I would've stopped anyway but normally you can see the top of a car at the point I was when I saw the flag but the trike was not visible at all, so in this case it certainly helped her be seen.

Brave woman, using a handtrike around here. Her husband was behind her towing a trailer with stuff, including wheelchair: Quite humbling.

I also saw another two trikes today as well at the village shop, the twin rear wheel variety. Maybe there's a convention :biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
of course reflectors and hiviz help, but I think lights are called for

the problem is that so many cyclists are deficient in one way or another than drivers tend to be already pissed of with them, I suspect the percentage of cyclists that use the road properly, use decent lights and observe the rules of the road is rather small

a great deal of driver's rote criticisms of cyclists tend to be true for an awful lot of cyclists

sadly

Origamist

Legendary Member
Tynan said:
the problem is that so many cyclists are deficient in one way or another than drivers tend to be already pissed of with them, I suspect the percentage of cyclists that use the road properly, use decent lights and observe the rules of the road is rather small

a great deal of driver's rote criticisms of cyclists tend to be true for an awful lot of cyclists

sadly

Another generalisation, different wording:

the problem is that so many motorists are deficient in one way or another that cyclists tend to be already pissed off with them, I suspect the percentage of motorists that use the road properly, use decent lights and observe the rules of the road is rather small

a great deal of cyclists' rote criticisms of motorists tend to be true for an awful lot of motorists

sadly

Tynan

Veteran
absolutely, there's loads of points out there to be made that are very true

op was regarding drivers' opinions on bikes and things that formed their opinions though

I think more drivers drive well then cyclists ride though, I think more cyclists routinely jump lights and don't use lights or any sort of hi viz clothing

based on what I see on my commute through London anyway

Origamist

Legendary Member
Tynan said:
absolutely, there's loads of points out there to be made that are very true

op was regarding drivers' opinions on bikes and things that formed their opinions though

I think more drivers drive well then cyclists ride though, I think more cyclists routinely jump lights and don't use lights or any sort of hi viz clothing

based on what I see on my commute through London anyway

I have never found it very fruitful to generalise about drivers' opinions of cyclists as "drivers" are not a monolithic entity...

As regards the third para you would have to clarify precisely what you mean by "well" - I can't assume you equate good driving with law-breaking, but as an overwhelming preponderance of motorists speed, I would have to disagree with you.

As for Hi-Viz, each to their own.

Cab

The problem with trying to analyze motorists response to cyclists is that such responses are not based merely on cyclist behaviour, they're based on cyclists being visibly 'different'. Again, I refer everyone back to the report prepared by TRL.

Interesting. I don't have time to read all of this at the moment. Did they manage to account for the fact that cyclists who wear hi-viz would be more likely to be conscientious. On average I would suspect that this would be the case.
Dont tell BM this.

My dad told me many years ago that I should wear Hi-Viz when he was a new motorist (and I was a cyclist) as he said it's easier to spot as his eyesight wasn't the best in the world.Never used to pay attention to this advice though until I had many incidents of motorists (on my commute) not seeing me.Very rarely do I hear this now.
21liu7l.gif

Cab

I often wear high viz. I do find that motorists seem to pass closer to me if conditions are good and I'm wearing fluorescent clothing; its like they're asusming I can take it or something. I think its advantageous in poor light or if there is bad visibility, otherwise I have a few doubts.

Top Bottom