Smooth Radio

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
I'm surprised it's taken this long for them to centralise everything. The laws governing what you could call 'local' radio changed over a decade ago.
Largely because different radio groups existed who had different views on the extent of networking with UKRD resisting any but eventually those in charge decide to sell and in jump Global or Bauer. OFCOMs barking decision to change the meaning of local to be that of a regional station and only to require 3 hours of "local" programming on weekdays has been the nail in the coffin. OFCOMs defense is that true local commercial radio should be provided by not for profit community radio but they have no measures in place to require any such provision before the rebranding.

clid61

Veteran
Planet X on DAB

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
Largely because different radio groups existed who had different views on the extent of networking with UKRD resisting any but eventually those in charge decide to sell and in jump Global or Bauer. OFCOMs barking decision to change the meaning of local to be that of a regional station and only to require 3 hours of "local" programming on weekdays has been the nail in the coffin. OFCOMs defense is that true local commercial radio should be provided by not for profit community radio but they have no measures in place to require any such provision before the rebranding.

Yeah, I used to work for Bauer, hence my surprise that it took them so long to do this as they were pretty ruthless about cost cutting.

Mike_P

Guru
Yeah, I used to work for Bauer, hence my surprise that it took them so long to do this as they were pretty ruthless about cost cutting.
They had to wait for an investigation into their acquisition of the Lincs FM Group, Wireless and UKRD. For some reason they are keeping Lincs FM and Cornwalls Priate FM (ex UKRD) as standalone stations, possibly because those two main the biggest money.

Mike_P

Guru
Commercial radio drives me barmy.
Agree, can put up with the ads if the output is local which is why I favoured my local UKRD station and ads were virtually all local but as now it is a constant output of "Greatest Hits Radio is coming" now a mixture of Radios 2 and Five Live plus the online advert free Solid Gold Gem AM. UKRD stations did one week flip to the GHR playlist, it was awful and they quickly changed back but have slowly been turning into stations playing a limited selection of 70s-90s music and seemingly largely those tracks you have thankfully forgotten.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
My normal radio station to have on during the working day is BBC R4, however since the lockdown it became apparent very early on they had an agenda to make a meal of the pandemic & instil a mentality of total dread in their listeners, every single program was turned over to doom & gloom. So for my own sanity I switched to Smooth Radio, pretty bland music catering to my late 50's tastes, completely unoffensive & fairly mundane. But now having listen to them for 8(?) weeks I am trying to work out their model, they only appear to have a very restrictive number of tracks, less than 500 possibly, is there a magic number they can play to not pay royalties so something like that?

That does seem to happen to some people, ok a lot of people, as they hit late middle age ie they start liking bland music. Although one person's bland is probably another person's amazing to use one of the most overused words in the English language.

Purely personal joint view from within our two person household (me nearly 64 and she 57) is that there are three things that define the late middle aged onwards:

1) a sudden interest in motorhomes,

2) the wearing of beige and brown clothes by men (along with blazers, sports jackets and slacks), frumpy floral dresses and bright coloured 'cagoules' (along with pearl necklaces and pearl drop earrings) by women,

3) listening to humdrum music by the likes of Sir Tom, Val Doonican, that Buble fellow and other assorted crooners. Usually accompanied by 'in car' collections such as 'Road Trips', '60's, 70's or 80's Classics, 'Motown Greats' and other assorted banal curations. Favourite radio station being the dross that is Radio 2 or Local Radio whose major headlines involve cats, grandchildren or strange shaped vegetables.

A bit TIC but that's how it seems at times. :smile:

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

That does seem to happen to some people, ok a lot of people, as they hit late middle age ie they start liking bland music. Although one person's bland is probably another person's amazing to use one of the most overused words in the English language.

Purely personal joint view from within our two person household (me nearly 64 and she 57) is that there are three things that define the late middle aged onwards:

1) a sudden interest in motorhomes,

2) the wearing of beige and brown clothes by men (along with blazers, sports jackets and slacks), frumpy floral dresses and bright coloured 'cagoules' (along with pearl necklaces and pearl drop earrings) by women,

3) listening to humdrum music by the likes of Sir Tom, Val Doonican, that Buble fellow and other assorted crooners. Usually accompanied by 'in car' collections such as 'Road Trips', '60's, 70's or 80's Classics, 'Motown Greats' and other assorted banal curations. Favourite radio station being the dross that is Radio 2 or Local Radio whose major headlines involve cats, grandchildren or strange shaped vegetables.

A bit TIC but that's how it seems at times. :smile:
WOW you have cheered me up, I only agree to No 1, so must not be old, Phew that's a relief, now just need to convince my body

sheddy

Legendary Member
Driving back from the coast 3pm last Monday, tuned into BBC Suffolk (for traffic reports) and astonished to hear 3 tracks from The Who played back to back. I guess the jock is a fan.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've been listening more to Talk Radio instead of advert free Radio Lancashire these last few months. I'd just like to say that the adverts are absolutely mind numbing and very annoying! Like 99.999 percent of adverts i don't want what they're selling. I'm sick of hearing Philip bloody Schofield advertising cars, dreary Dermot O'Leary selling the lottery and one loud shouty advert about some Walt Disney cartoon/film whatever. Seriously,i've worked in factories that have the radio on loud which is bad enough,but as a captive audience you're forced to listen to the repetitive music and adverts all day long. If i was back working in a factory i think i'd be putting a claim in for mental torture!:thumbsdown:

Edit...Just listening to Talk Radio now. One bloody advert about doorbells.." Delivery!" " can you leave it round the back" "sure no problem!":banghead: and one for check a trade with some two hat whistling all the way through are particularly annoying!!:angry:

Last edited:

the_mikey

Legendary Member
In the work van I tend to cycle between BBC radio 1, BBC radio 6 music, Smooth Chill (not too much as there's only so many times I can listen to Kinobe or FC Kahuna which they seem to play waaay too frequently).

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I like the album format on Caroline. It’s on pretty much all day here. Constantly throwing up surprises and tracks I’d forgotten about. The featuring new music too keeps me just about up to speed with what’s happening now too- there is some great new stuff out there. I’ve bought more music in the 3years since the station returned on AM than since I was a kid.

Most UK music stations seem to have morphed into magnolia FM, so Caroline really is a breath of fresh air. No news or travel nonsense an added bonus. Finding out about a lorry having its tyre changed on a motorway 300 miles away is not my idea of entertainment.

I just hope the request to Ofcom to increase Caroline’s power (on 648khz medium wave ) is granted though currently on just 1kw, they’re getting out pretty well from their Orfordness transmitter in Suffolk. ^_^

JPBoothy

Veteran
Does it have any of those generic 'purile' advertisements though? My kids tell me off when we are in the car for constantly flicking between stations trying to dodge the adverts but sadly the big commercial stations seem to play them at the same time so that you are forced to hear them :wacko:

I can't imagine any of those ham actors actually being proud of their jobs!

Top Bottom