Snake dilemma - what would you do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

asterix

Comrade Member
Have a snake stuck in a bit of chicken wire. I believe it is a Western Whip Snake

http://www.planetepassion.eu/snakes-in-france/western-whip-snake-france.html

and not particularly dangerous although it is very angry.

P1010399.jpg

I have left it up the top of the garden hoping it will free itself by going backwards (can they do this?) as it just gets more jammed going forward. Unfortunately it seems to be getting nowhere although maybe once it has calmed down it might.

Any ideas?

Looks like a two man job. One to hold the snake whilst the other cuts the wire, thick gloves recommended.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Pin it's head down with a pronged stick first then what SF said!
Failing that you'd have to kill it, which would be a shame.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member

Why kill it? It would riggle free after the fatty lost a bit of weight from not eating for a week, the other snakes would get well gel of its new figure.

Scruffmonster

Über Member

Wtf?!?!

Jesus christ, yeah, if you can't find a pronged stick, kill it. Those are definately the two options.

When you turn to the internet for a solution as simple as this, you know you need to turn it off for a while.

snake scales are keeled, so it's not good for them to go backwards, even if they can.

get some gloves.
grab the snake behind the head.
try to cut the wire, but if not, gently hold the body of the snake behind where it is trapped.
gently ease the body through the gap
you may have to push one side and then the other - snakes have very flexible bodies and can squash them down.

it may have eaten, hence being stuck... in which caase it might regurgitate the food.

you could try pouring water over the snake to get some lubrication.

you could also try stroking it under the chin as this can calm them down, honest.

snakey will calm after a few minutes of holding - hopefully. most do anyway.

Scruffmonster

Über Member
If the snake is still in that wire now, someone needs to take a long hard look at themselves.

OP
OP
asterix

asterix

Comrade Member
Turn the bin upright with the head end pointing down, snip the cable, snake in bin, tip it over, off you both go.

Yes, that was my first plan, hence the bin, but it's not so easy snipping the wire when you have an aggressive snake thrashing around, even quite a small one.

Have now freed it by getting it to put its head in a narrow cardboard tube which seemed to calm it long enough to carefully snip the wires. Once that was done it paused (to get its breath?) and was off:

P1010400.jpg

Snake handling gear:

P1010401.jpg

Thanks to Laurence, et al for the suggestions BTW. I did try a reptile forum but they were neither use nor ornament.

Sandra6

Veteran
You are a braver person than me. I wouldn't have gone back to take the picture!
I once found a tiny corn snake in the garden and that scared me half to death. Mr6 took photos while I rang the RSPCA.

Top Bottom