Snakebite puncture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
4 or 5 Colin, you scallywag ! 2-3 patches is my max then bin (TBH the tubes are usually getting rather old by then). Snake bites = bin.
2-3 used to be my limit too, but I am pretty skint these days! :okay:

I wrecked 2 tubes the other day trying to get a stupidly tight tyre on. They ended up with 5 patches each but were still not airtight, at which point I threw a hissy fit and went down to the LBS and bought 2 new ones.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
2-3 used to be my limit too, but I am pretty skint these days! :okay:

I wrecked 2 tubes the other day trying to get a stupidly tight tyre on. They ended up with 5 patches each but were still not airtight, at which point I threw a hissy fit and went down to the LBS and bought 2 new ones.

Talc the tyre and tube, young padawan...

ColinJ

And definitely don't bother with rubber adhesive glue - Parks instant patches mean you can repair a hole outside in the rain (if you have run out of replacement tubes).
That's odd - I tried those years ago but gave up on them after getting a puncture in a thunderstorm and failing to get any of them to stick. Fortunately, I was within a reasonable walking distance of home.

Talc the tyre and tube, young padawan...
I tried everything! I did the talc thing. I pulled the tyre beads down into the well of the rim. I even tried warming the tyre on a radiator and stretching it to loosen it up. No good! I can normally get tyres on and off with my bare hands but damaged my hands trying on this one - I had blisters and my finger and thumb joints are still hurting 2 weeks later.

I had to give up and use tyre levers, which is what I damaged the tubes with. Eventually, I succeeded on the 3rd tube but had to be ever so careful not to nip it.

I am pretty nervous about getting a puncture on that wheel on a long winter ride with potentially cold, wet conditions and darkness approaching...

That's odd - I tried those years ago but gave up on them after getting a puncture in a thunderstorm and failing to get any of them to stick. Fortunately, I was within a reasonable walking distance of home.
I should have been a bit clearer! Obviously shelter the tube from the rain, so when you rub the sandpaper on, the friction will dry up any remaining moisture, and then the patch should stick ok.

With the old fashioned rubber solution, even if you're under shelter, the glue really doesn't want to set if the air around is particularly damp.

ColinJ

I should have been a bit clearer! Obviously shelter the tube from the rain, so when you rub the sandpaper on, the friction will dry up any remaining moisture, and then the patch should stick ok.

With the old fashioned rubber solution, even if you're under shelter, the glue really doesn't want to set if the air around is particularly damp.
There wasn't much shelter where I was at the time... I carry 3 spare tubes now. A couple are for my potential use with a 3rd one in case I want/need to donate a tube to another rider, or I am having a very bad day!

Sharky

Guru
Been ages since I had one., then two come along at the same time.

Was about 2 miles from home, descending at about 30mph when my front wheel hit something in the road. Felt my front wheel going and was soon riding on the rim. Managed to control it and came to a safe stop.

Dead flat, so quickly got the spare and re inflated and was about to get back on the bike, then I realised my rear was flat as well.

Both wheels must have hit the debris in the road. Luckily had a second tube, so fitted it and finished the ride.

Thankful that I didn't crash. Could easily have lost the front wheel and fallen.

Havent examined the tubes yet, will see if they can be repaired.

CXRAndy

Guru
Go tubeless, these type of punctures are all banished. In fact lots of punctures no longer interrupt your ride.

Venod

Eh up
Reflecting a couple of the above posts, I have a one word solution.
Tubeless.

Ajax Bay

Guru
descending at about 30mph when my front wheel hit something in the road. Felt my front wheel going and was soon riding on the rim. Managed to control it and came to a safe stop.
You were skillful or lucky or likely both: well done. In very similar circumstances, I was not (8+ hours into a ride). My front tyre didn't 'go'; it went bang/flat and the last I remember was 'expletive, keep it straight, ease off front brake'. My memory record resumed with the air and road ambulance crews discussion over whether to take me to Yeovil or Bath A&E.
Haven't examined the tubes yet, will see if they can be repaired.
My tube had a snakebite with each hole about 10mm long. I did not try to repair it/them.
I am more careful to check pressures not just before starting but every few hours (on a long ride ie: every main stop).

Sharky

Guru
You were skillful or lucky or likely both: well done. In very similar circumstances, I was not (8+ hours into a ride). My front tyre didn't 'go'; it went bang/flat and the last I remember was 'expletive, keep it straight, ease off front brake'. My memory record resumed with the air and road ambulance crews discussion over whether to take me to Yeovil or Bath A&E.

My tube had a snakebite with each hole about 10mm long. I did not try to repair it/them.
I am more careful to check pressures not just before starting but every few hours (on a long ride ie: every main stop).
Yes, reckon I was lucky. Felt the tyre going soft quickly, but it took a few bike lengths before it was on the rim, so had enough time to stop in a straight line.

Since repaired both tubes and seem to be holding. Both had a pair of holes, but quite small although the air was escaping fast.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Been ages since I had one., then two come along at the same time.

Was about 2 miles from home, descending at about 30mph when my front wheel hit something in the road. Felt my front wheel going and was soon riding on the rim. Managed to control it and came to a safe stop.

Same happened to me, don't they call it "target fixation" or something? Riding at about 40 mph down a hill, I spotted a sharp square stone about the size of a matchbox lying in the middle of the road and would you believe, I hit it square on with my front tyre, which went flat. Luckily my Veloflex tyres deflate into a ribbon shape around the rim so I was able to scrub off speed with the rear brake while keeping in a straight line and stop without crashing.

Venod

Eh up
Love the idea, but they appear to be like Marmite. For every person who thinks they're great another will have tales of nothing but woe.

I've decided to bide my time on them.
I agree they are not for everybody, if you have a bad experience of fitting them and getting them to hold air it can be off putting, but they are improving all the time, I have just taken the tubes out of a new pair of wheels, the tyres went back on easy and is still inflated a week later, I haven't put any sealant in yet, I don't run high pressures, the smallest tyres I run now are 32mm the comfort alone is worth it.

Top Bottom