Snapped chain - Question/advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Out with the dog this morning on the mtn bike and just as I powered up a short ramp, from a standing start, the chain snapped. Luckily I remained clipped, wasn't going fast and there was a nice grass verge next to me so I neither bo11ock£d myself nor lost it big time but just kinda managed a controlled fall.

First time I've ever had that and as I haven't long replaced the chain it seems fairly likely it came apart where I joined it. So I've heard talk of powerlinks but not really payed much attention until now. Is it just SRAM who makes them and can they only be used on SRAM chains or are there other alternatives and would you recommend them?

It's a 7 speed chain by the way.

Young Un

Crackle, quite a few companies make them, such as SRAM, KMC etc.

I have heard somewhere that the SRAM powerlinks are single use only, and should not be opened and closed more than once, although I am not sure about this, I know that the kmc link that I have on my road bike, has been opened every time that I have cleaned the bike and it has stood up very well, and I put a lot of power down. SO I would recomend going for a KMC, and they will be available in 8speed format, which is the same as 7 speed (same width) and so will work perfectly.

Hope this helps
Steve

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Other firms make them. Most new chains (except for shimano, it seems) come with them now, even the cheap-as-chips ones from Asda at about a fiver.
I have had a problem using SRAM links in a Shimano chain, but possibly I had the wrong size.

EDIT Cross-posted with above^^

Young Un

Crackle said:
Tah. Steve do you use them on KMC chains or any as per the docs post?

Currently, I am using them on a KMC chain, but before hand I was using them on a Dura Ace chain and again, they worked perfectly. I too was worried about compatibility, but FossyAnt reassured me that it would be fine, and it was.

Steve

Landslide

Rare Migrant
IIRC, the old style SRAM links had both pins attached to one plate, and thus required bending to fit/remove. I suspect this was the resason for them being single-use.
New SRAM links now have one pin per plate (as per the KMC ones that Young Un linked to), and should be re-usable without any problems. Make sure you keep them clean, as they're buggers to unjoin if they get clogged up with muck and grime.

bleakanddivine

Über Member
This happened to me a few months ago. New chain snapped on first ride out, and it wasn't where I had joined it as I had put an extra link in, so could identify that join. So I think it must be down to poor quality control. The funny thing is that when it broke, I lost a complete link, so it must have come apart in 2 places - some sort of chain reaction?

I didn't carry a link tool on me then, or mobile, or Oyster card, or cash, and I was six miles out, so it was 2 miles walking uphill, 2 miles scootering along the flat, and 2 miles coasting downhill to get home.

I put a couple of new links in when I got back and have been using it ever since, so the rest of it seems to be fine.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

bleakanddivine said:
This happened to me a few months ago. New chain snapped on first ride out, and it wasn't where I had joined it as I had put an extra link in, so could identify that join. So I think it must be down to poor quality control. The funny thing is that when it broke, I lost a complete link, so it must have come apart in 2 places - some sort of chain reaction?

I didn't carry a link tool on me then, or mobile, or Oyster card, or cash, and I was six miles out, so it was 2 miles walking uphill, 2 miles scootering along the flat, and 2 miles coasting downhill to get home.

I put a couple of new links in when I got back and have been using it ever since, so the rest of it seems to be fine.

I couldn't identify my join, I'm just assuming, nor could I find one side plate. I don't carry a chain tool in my 2nd seatpack but I might get one for it now. I just tend to swop seatpacks if I'm doing a bigger ride on the mtn bike otherwise the 2nd pack just has some puncture stuff and a cheap mini-tool in it.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Something to bear in mind, even if you carry a spare Powerlink to repair broken chains whilst on the road, you may still need a chain tool to tidy up the broken ends of the chain.

Maz

Guru
Crackle said:
Out with the dog this morning on the mtn bike and just as I powered up a short ramp, from a standing start, the chain snapped.
Been there, done exactly that from a standing start.

My replacement chain was a KMC with powerlink.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Cleaning the chain after use is rcommended..
My oe Shimano chain lasted the guts of 2500 kms.. but after 1 finalinspection, noticed 3 cracked side plates...
replaced with Wippermann 9spd with its CONNEX link.. tidy.. like it and it is robust..

after 500km still as shiny

to fit the CONNEX link is a knack.. v easy WHEN you know how. I had to rely on the manufacturers website for the instructions

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Seems to be a wide price discrepancy. Evans want £12 for a KMC one whilst somewhere else want £2.99. Trying to find somewhere that's got it and the brake shims I've been meaning to get, in stock at the same time.

MartinC

Über Member
Young Un said:
Crackle, quite a few companies make them, such as SRAM, KMC etc.

I have heard somewhere that the SRAM powerlinks are single use only, and should not be opened and closed more than once, although I am not sure about this, I know that the kmc link that I have on my road bike, has been opened every time that I have cleaned the bike and it has stood up very well, and I put a lot of power down. SO I would recomend going for a KMC, and they will be available in 8speed format, which is the same as 7 speed (same width) and so will work perfectly.

Hope this helps
Steve

SRAM powerlinks (7,8 speed silver and 9 speed gold) are re-useable. SRAM powerlocks (10 speed) are use once only.

Top Bottom