Snapped Chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Llankey43

Whilst on a ride today my chain snapped. On closer inspection two outer link plated had bent slightly. Can this be repaired just by reconnecting with a chain link tool or do I need a new chain???

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
1-How worn is the chain? No sense in putting a worn chain back on.
2-Is there any reason the chain broke? True, outer plates may have been bent slightly, but is that cause, or effect?
3-Are there any other problems with the bike? Like a wheel rubbing, etc.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Whilst on a ride today my chain snapped. On closer inspection two outer link plated had bent slightly. Can this be repaired just by reconnecting with a chain link tool or do I need a new chain???
A new chain is cheap enough. Anything above eight speed and it is not a good idea to connect a chain with a tool, a quicklink should be used (Or a Shimano pin if that is your chain). If the chain has previously been installed using a tool that is probably the source of your problem.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I definitely would not try to repair a damaged link but if the rest of the chain is okay then I would replace the broken link with a suitable quicklink. (The official thinking seems to be that you can only have one quicklink per chain but I can't see the logic in that. If quicklinks were unreliable, yes, you would be doubling your risk, but every broken link I have seen has been a normal one!)

Kajjal

Guru
As above check chain and cassette wear. A broken chain normally either comes from extreme wear, a manufacturing defect or how it was fitted.

D

Deleted member 1258

I definitely would not try to repair a damaged link but if the rest of the chain is okay then I would replace the broken link with a suitable quicklink. (The official thinking seems to be that you can only have one quicklink per chain but I can't see the logic in that. If quicklinks were unreliable, yes, you would be doubling your risk, but every broken link I have seen has been a normal one!)

The chain on my Eastway has two quicklinks in it after I trimmed it too short when I fitted it. :blush: :angry: it's early days yet but so far so good.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Moulton TSR owners will generally have two quick.links - a typical setup with a 56T chainring needs 120 links, which is slightly longer than one new chain!

OP
OP
Llankey43

Llankey43

I've ordered a new quick link. Fingers crossed :okay:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
The chain on my Eastway has two quicklinks in it after I trimmed it too short when I fitted it. :blush: :angry: it's early days yet but so far so good.

If more than one is no good why would one be ok.
@StuAff of this parish will attest more than one quick link is fine. I wasn't on this particular Fridays ride but his chain 'fell to bits' 3 quick links inserted to join the various bits and all was good.
How long did you ride it like that Stu? Not long I guess.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
@StuAff of this parish will attest more than one quick link is fine. I wasn't on this particular Fridays ride but his chain 'fell to bits' 3 quick links inserted to join the various bits and all was good.
The rest of the ride. It sounded terrible & shifted badly. Not recommended!

D

Deleted member 1258

First time I've done it so I'm a doubtful, but as you say there's no reason why it shouldn't work.

Ajax Bay

Guru
It sounded terrible & shifted badly. Not recommended!
Might that be because the quicklinks you (presumably scrounged from fellow riders) used were the 'wrong' speed for your drive train? I fitted a 9sp QL to a fellow rider's parted chain (10sp drive train) which got him home last week from the pub but he'll swap it out for a 10sp QL pronto. His was a Shimano chain and the link he'd pushed the 'new' pin (with break off) into before the ride failed (operator error almost certainly).

Top Bottom