Snapped Chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Never had one snap before, 1800 miles poor maintenance, so not interested in a repair new one to go on, but how do I know which one I need, it's a Cube MTB, 3 up front & 10 at the back, is there a poor/med/best brand?

I've recently settled on KMC chains, no problems so far, if you don't count clumsy shifting under load.

KMC X10 or sram pc1031 but they ar both a little more on Amazon but you get a powerlink rather than the Shimano join pin, unless they've changed their method.

pawl

Legendary Member
KMC X10 or sram pc1031 but they ar both a little more on Amazon but you get a powerlink rather than the Shimano join pin, unless they've changed their method.

You can now get quick links.for Shimano.Just Google Shimano Quick Link.I don’t bother I always use KMC chains on myUltegra mech

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
KMC FTW :okay:

I only use KMC on all my fleet whether 9, 10 or 11 spd and find they just work and seem to last a sensible time/distance. I did initially mess about trying Shimano Vs KMC but there really didn't seem to be much in it either way, other than variation due to season or conditions of use. I always thought the KMC was marginally longer lasting but don't have any real science to back that up. The thing that swung it for me was the joining pin V missing link connector. Missing link is just so simple it is the only option.

Ajax Bay

Guru
There's a good chance that the Shimano CN-HG54 chain 'snapped' at the link the OP (or the bike shop that replaced the chain) joined. Either that or the OP's immense power and/or gear changing expertise. The KMC or SRAM 'quick link' joining method seems less risky (and I, too, use and would recommend one of those two makes).
After "1800 miles poor maintenance" a new chain will very likely slip on the current cassette so I recommend the OP order a new cassette as well, immediately, unless they have one in their spares box waiting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

There's a good chance that the Shimano CN-HG54 chain 'snapped' at the link the OP (or the bike shop that replaced the chain) joined. Either that or the OP's immense power and/or gear canging expertise. The KMC or SRAM 'quick link' joining method seems less risky (and I, too, use and would recommend one of those two makes).
After "1800 miles poor maintenance" a new chain will very likely slip on the current cassette so I recommend the OP order a new cassette as well, immediately, unless they have one in their spares box waiting.
Original chain

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

You tell me what caused it

20190617_165324.jpg

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Can you take a picture of the side plates from both sides? Doesn't look like the plates have cracked so most likely is a joining fault. If I remember correctly, the dedicated Shimano joining pin is black on one side.

Top Bottom