Snapping chain worries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Falco Frank

Über Member
I am getting a bit concerned about having a chain snap on me.

I carry a chain tool anyways but must revise the links that I carry with me, just wondering if anyone has had one snap on a ride and the best way to proceed with a repair?

I know a spare chain really should be my next purchase as Ive no idea how old mine is.

Thank you & good night.

Carry a spare master link. You need the tool to remove a snapped link but not to install a master link.
SRAM, KMC,

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Having had one snap ten miles from home which entailed a long walk I now carry the appropriate link for whatever speed chain is on the bike plus a chain tool. Even if it means having the chain slightly shorter, it should still get you home.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have ridden over 40 years on everything from my scooter to my Ice trike and everything in between and I have never snapped a chain. There are plenty of other things that will fail before a chain.

cookie32

Having built my first recumbent, while I was still in the development stage (first 1000 miles) I'd used the chain off 3 old bikes. I managed to pop the chain 4 maybe 5 times. Twice in one ride. I learned to keep a spare about 8 links long.
When I purchased new chain all the same I haven't had a chain pop since. I carry a chain break tool and the 8 link section for safety sake but fingers crossed I won't need it.
Barring excessive wear I don't reckon you should see you chain pop unless you make a habit of not downshifting then conpensating on starts by applying to much torque. Anyway, I'm off before I go on forever, and ever, and ever...

...suspect this is one of those 'being struck by lightning' things' - highly unlikely to happen. On my bents I use cheapo chains costing about a quid each, and no issues to date. I use single speed chain mind, which is more robust than speed chain, but even so :smile: .....

...suspect this is one of those 'being struck by lightning' things' - highly unlikely to happen. On my bents I use cheapo chains costing about a quid each, and no issues to date. I use single speed chain mind, which is more robust than speed chain, but even so :smile: .....

@FrankCrank , Hi Frank - I hope your well , regards emma

I have only broken one link on my first bent trike , uphill and a mile from home , turned out to be a misformed link due probably to the trikes last owner not joining the chain correctly , that was well over 2 years ago ( house has only been struck by lightning once ) :evil:

but a spare link and tool wont break your back carrying it around

regards emma

Drago

Legendary Member
I know a spare chain really should be my next purchase as Ive no idea how old mine is.
You've answered your own question. Buy a new chain, carry some snap links, and relax.

paul fellows

I have never broken a chain, but I’ve stretched a couple.:evil:

It is a principal in UK law that all goods offered for sale should be fit for purpose.:whistle: A bike chain that fails when in use, under a load of one man-power or less is not fit for the purpose of cycling.:gun::gun::gun: The fact that we as cyclists accept that we get through more consumables then a motor bike rider dose [ Evan though they are subject to grater loads ] mean the manufactures will never give us better parts,:angry: and trading standers will not get involved.:reading:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
They do break, so best be prepared. Not often, but it happens. There was a thread about it recently should you/we cyclists "expect" a chain to break at some time???

Yes I do realise this is the recumbent forum, and maybe the stresses on the longer chains are different in that case, but not all that different surely. Only happened to me once, back in the days of nail punches and hammers. It was my own fault as I hadn't fitted it properly.

byegad

Legendary Member
I parted a new chain due to a failed quick link. I was carrying a short length of chain, two new quick links and a chain tool so I 'merely' had to feed the chain back through the chain tube and pop in a new link, which was easy enough, although I did have to do it twice having rotated the chain in the tube around its axis by 180 degrees the first time!

I carry the chain spares because rescuing a stranded trike is a major operation and pushing a recumbent trike is a pain in the back.

.....guess it really comes down to an individual's perception of what could happen on a typical jaunt. I cycle most days on either a MTB, trike or LWB 'bent, and all I make sure I have with me is the house keys and my mobile phone. I'm never really more than half an hour's ride away from home, so if an emergency were to occur I'd get Mrs Crank to come fetch me in the car.......then she could fix the bike while I drive off to the pub......just kidding......... I'd walk to the pub........safety first ........:angel:

classic33

Leg End Member
I have never broken a chain, but I’ve stretched a couple.:evil:

It is a principal in UK law that all goods offered for sale should be fit for purpose.:whistle: A bike chain that fails when in use, under a load of one man-power or less is not fit for the purpose of cycling.:gun::gun::gun: The fact that we as cyclists accept that we get through more consumables then a motor bike rider dose [ Evan though they are subject to grater loads ] mean the manufactures will never give us better parts,:angry: and trading standers will not get involved.:reading:
Snapped an industrial chain whilst going uphill. Bus driver behind realised something had gone wrong and stopped.

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
I had own break not long after I got my current bike, chain slipped off outer ring, jammed and snapped. Being clipped in I went timber on my left and had to get picked up and run home as I have no idea on how to use chain tool. Bike shop upgraded chain on bike and had no problems since. Still makes me self conscious on steep bumps tho about trusting chain.

Top Bottom