Snooze; lose.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
We have second had shops attached to most of our recycling centres in Denmark. Up until recently, we could not take anything off the site. They have just changed that so you can take whatever you want. Providing it does not appear you are taking advantage of the system.

Good morning,
Anyone got any thoughts / opinions on these two bikes (?) - which are both at ‘CycleRecycle’ - pretty close to me. Would have to go see / sit on both reference sizing either way…….

https://www.cyclerecycleuk.com/product-page/scotts-cycles-super-club

https://www.cyclerecycleuk.com/product-page/raleigh-medale
They look like typical 1970s high street/catalogue bikes to me, that doesn't make them bad just nothing special.

Expect them to weigh around 32lbs plus, or around 10lbs more than anything other than the cheapest of the cheap new bikes.

At £62/£100 they are okay if refurbished means new chain, freewheel, tyres etc and everything working, if not than they are approaching overpriced unless you value buying from a known place and can take them back.

If you don't read the https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/e...you-see-something.93126/page-527#post-6967892 thread it might surprise you how much more bike you can get for not much more money, even including delivery.

I have fond memories of a similar bike when I was at school, but my first 531 frame was such a step up, and modern aluminium frames are usually lighter than 531, a lot lighter if they have a CF fork.

I don't know if it would be stretching the budget too much but Halfords seem to be everywhere (Decathlon less so) and Halfords Carreras offer a lot of bike for the money. The Apollo Paradox is even cheaper but may be a step too far down the quality ladder if it is going to get a lot of use.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Good morning,

They look like typical 1970s high street/catalogue bikes to me, that doesn't make them bad just nothing special.

Expect them to weigh around 32lbs plus, or around 10lbs more than anything other than the cheapest of the cheap new bikes.

At £62/£100 they are okay if refurbished means new chain, freewheel, tyres etc and everything working, if not than they are approaching overpriced unless you value buying from a known place and can take them back.

If you don't read the https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/e...you-see-something.93126/page-527#post-6967892 thread it might surprise you how much more bike you can get for not much more money, even including delivery.

I have fond memories of a similar bike when I was at school, but my first 531 frame was such a step up, and modern aluminium frames are usually lighter than 531, a lot lighter if they have a CF fork.

I don't know if it would be stretching the budget too much but Halfords seem to be everywhere (Decathlon less so) and Halfords Carreras offer a lot of bike for the money. The Apollo Paradox is even cheaper but may be a step too far down the quality ladder if it is going to get a lot of use.

Bye

Ian

Thanks very much indeed for the appraisal of the two bikes. I don’t hugely see being a ‘High St’ bike as detrimental. And for what it will be used for - a few extra pounds is hardly a deal-breaker either. I’ll likely come home the long way early this week and pop in and take a look. Nothing to lose 👌

Thanks for suggestion ref; upping the budget. Not sure if you read previous posts on Page1 by me…but I already have 3 nice bikes: I just ‘need’ a cheap Tesco / pub / chores / spare / beater bike. No point or need upping the budget……..👍

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Thanks very much indeed for the appraisal of the two bikes. I don’t hugely see being a ‘High St’ bike as detrimental. And for what it will be used for - a few extra pounds is hardly a deal-breaker either. I’ll likely come home the long way early this week and pop in and take a look. Nothing to lose 👌

Thanks for suggestion ref; upping the budget. Not sure if you read previous posts on Page1 by me…but I already have 3 nice bikes: I just ‘need’ a cheap Tesco / pub / chores / spare / beater bike. No point or need upping the budget……..👍

The Raleigh Medale is a good basic bike, not that light but it was the bike that many teenagers started on in the late 60's and 70's.
That one looks in good nick and as a hack bike should do you well.

T4tomo

Legendary Member

given one is 21" and one is 24" frame, a maximum of one of them is going to fit you!

Top Bottom