Snow foam, bikey no likey.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A mate of mine told me his son had taken to cleaning his bike with Snow Foam. He'd use the foam then rinse off with water however the residual chemicals in the foam had seized the pedal threads, QR bolts and badly damaged other parts on the bike.

I can't vouch for how well the lads bike was maintained but MucOff, water and elbow grease seem the best bike cleaning combination.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Whenever I hear of stuff like snow foam, I often wonder what's wrong with a drop of fairy washing up liquid in warm water... it works so well, why find solutions where there's no problems?
I do use a degreaser on the chain and sprockets but general road / path dirt only ever needs mild soapy water.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
B
Whenever I hear of stuff like snow foam, I often wonder what's wrong with a drop of fairy washing up liquid in warm water... it works so well, why find solutions where there's no problems?
I do use a degreaser on the chain and sprockets but general road / path dirt only ever needs mild soapy water.
Because it's actually quite paintwork-unfriendly, IIRC a strong alkali. Much better to use a proprietory wash n wax as suggested.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Even better is the 'Add Wax' car shampoo, I use the 'Simoniz' stuff and it's excellent however I then use 'Fairy Liquid' on the rims.

I also use car shampoo.

Does a decent job if done regularly, and leaves a tiny bit of shine on the bike which means dirt doesn't stick so hard the next time.

Rims on a rim brake bike can need something stronger such as washing up liquid or a kitchen cleaning spray.

D

Deleted member 1258

Really? I'm surprised. I've been washing bikes for nearly 3 decades with it, I've not noticed any ill effect.

And I have.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Ehh some snow foams aren't ph neutral. Harsher blends would be used in winter with where theres much more salty traffic film and road grime about.

Fairy liquid is good for stripping all protection from paintwork if you are wanting to start from scratch, clay, polish, glaze, wax etc.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
B

Because it's actually quite paintwork-unfriendly, IIRC a strong alkali. Much better to use a proprietory wash n wax as suggested.

It also has a high salt content

I suspect that it depends how effectively you rinse

I'm yet to hear of anyone who's bike has suffered from using washing up liquid to clean it. In a bucket of hot water it it's so diluted you'd get more salt exposure riding near the coast.
Exposure is only for a couple of minutes whilst scrubbing then it is rinsed off.

Used it all my life.

Of course Muc Off will sell you some scientifically researched nano tech pink liquid for about 20 times the price and will be gone in 3/4 washes against dozens and dozens from an 80p bottle of fairy.

Top Bottom