So a new bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alexa.hardy

Hello everyone,

I am planning on buying a new bike after my last one got stolen. I want to give it some thought so that it suits my lifestyle and feel a little overwhelmed by the array of choice.

I have read the sticky thread and talked to biker friends and think what i am looking for is a Hybrid.

I am mainly using the bike for commuting around town (10-15 mile per day) and the occasional cycle ride at the week end. I live in a pretty hilly town so want to make it as easy as possible for myself! The main thing I am looking for is as light as possible within my price range.

I have found this bike and wondered if anyone could give any advice:

http://www.all-about-the-bike.co.uk/dawes-discovery-101-2011-hybrid-bike---fully-assembled--free-delivery-2098-p.as

Thank you very much,

Alexa

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
:welcome:

You might want to read this although it is a couple of years old. I have never tried or owned a Discovery but I had a Ridgeback Velocity briefly. If they are similar then it should be a decent, light bike for the money. Although their components are cheaper, lower end versions to hit the price point, they should be servicable and you can always gradually upgrade as they wear out.

As a matter of fact Dawes have changed the spec slightly over the period. This is the 2009 spec and this is the current spec and from which I have two observations:
1) The 2009 spec suggests the weight to be 11.9kg. This is light compared to just about anything else for the price. However no weight is given for the current spec. I suspect it will be a bit heavier.
2) The 2009 bike is 21 speed. The current one is 18. While the reduction in number is not important imho it seems to me that the older freewheel looks like having a largest cog of 34T, while the current one looks like a 28T. A wider range freewheel (to 34T) will help you on your hilly terrain quite a bit.

If possible it is best to try one in a local bike shop to be sure you have the right size and fit and that you like the feel. They might even be prepared to swap the freewheel for a wider range one for you at no cost.

Good luck!

ps I would advice not go for the suspension fork upgrade if you can help it.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
If you have a Local Bike Shop (LBS) I would take a look in there first. You have an idea of what you are looking for so tell them your desired spec. A good LBS won't try to oversell you. You have the piece of mind of it being easier to return if problems arise and the ability to test ride the machine before you part with cash.

Hello everyone,

I am planning on buying a new bike after my last one got stolen. I want to give it some thought so that it suits my lifestyle and feel a little overwhelmed by the array of choice.

I have read the sticky thread and talked to biker friends and think what i am looking for is a Hybrid.

I am mainly using the bike for commuting around town (10-15 mile per day) and the occasional cycle ride at the week end. I live in a pretty hilly town so want to make it as easy as possible for myself! The main thing I am looking for is as light as possible within my price range.

I have found this bike and wondered if anyone could give any advice:

http://www.all-about-the-bike.co.uk/dawes-discovery-101-2011-hybrid-bike---fully-assembled- -free-delivery-2098-p.as

Thank you very much,

Alexa

Top Bottom