So chuffed with my MTB to commuter upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Janeyb

Hi all....am a very happy bunny. After treating myself to a new MTB a few weeks ago, I have been working on sorting out the old one to use as a decent commuter. Haven't made many modifications but boy what a difference.

I have changed the brake cables and V brakes so they actually stop me now!!! ;)

I have put slicks on - had been encouraged to buy some horrible tyres from LBS but didn't get on with them (what's the saying buy cheap buy twice!) so they are going on my cruiser for the summer and the new slicks have just gone onto the Commuter. WOW - So FAST :evil:

The final adaptation was that I needed mudguards. Was going to spend £20 on the SKS Chromoplastic ones but hey presto....as the Cruiser is going to be used solely as a summer beach promenade and pop to the pub on a summer evening kind of bike.....I pinched the guards off that, cleaned them up a bit and hey presto.....I'm sorted.

And all for less than £50

Will post a piccie of my bikes at some point so you can laugh your heads off at the poor job!

But hey....it stops, it's fast and I don't get a mucky bum! Fantastic

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Well done Janeyb. Instant feel good factor for almost nothing.

PBancroft

Spurred on by this, I bought myself some slicks today. I've been cycle commuting for a year now - admittedly nowhere near every day - and have been doing so entirely on knobblies. Looking forward to testing them out.

Really wish I could afford a decent road bike, but my plan is to cycle as much as possible this year and save up the pennies.

OP
OP
Janeyb

Janeyb

You wont believe the difference that slicks make. I could only stratch to Schwalbe City Jets at £23 for the pair (including inner tubes) from wiggle.....but boy.....how fast am I now!

We went out for a potter this afternoon locally and we were chatting about the option of a wee cycle tour at some point! Can't afford a road/touring bike but the way the Carrera is running at the moment, I reckon it would be up to the job!

Have fun on the new slicks. Sure you won't be disappointed!

Top Bottom