So , how does this work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
image.jpeg
This screenshot of my phone ,
The ad banner is a Tile supply company , as you can see , ten minutes before I logged onto CC I was searching on line for some tiling accessories for my job , I've never seen a tile mob advert on CC before , so how come my google shearch is extended to the CC forum with no prompting from me on the
CC forum ?

Slick

Guru
Can't remember exactly where, but I read somewhere that there was to be a kind of phased in advertising on the site to help recover costs. I've still to see any.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Shaun said those of us who contributed to the whip round would be excused ads for a while as (another) thank you.

I think the OP is asking how targeted ads work.

My limited understanding is all searches/activity from your internet address is logged.

When you go to a site such as CycleChat that has targeted advertising, the ad provider checks the last searches from your address and sends something relevant - assuming a relevant business is paying him to distribute their ads.

irw

Quadricyclist
I do not think searching for work related products should be classed as dodgy , So I take it that Google pays CC to put ads on my device ?
Short answer: no, probably not. Long answer: it’s complicated!

If you run Firefox, download the Lightbeam plugin and the incredibly tangled web that is the internet starts to show itself!

Shaun

Founder
I do not think searching for work related products should be classed as dodgy , So I take it that Google pays CC to put ads on my device ?
The ads are a recent addition to help generate revenue to fund CC's future development.

What's probably happening is that a lot of the sites you visit are using Google's free site statistics service - Google Analytics - which tracks visitors so site owners can see all kinds of metrics about users on their sites, where they go, number per day, etc. and view trends and results of changes.

Google then gets to share in this info and can see where you've recently visited (based on a number of factors, including your browser type, device type, IP address, ISP network, etc.). It will then use this info to select from a pool of advertisers who will be bidding on ad slots that are related to what you've been looking at - the idea being that you will likely be more interested in something you've recently looked at than a random advert for some unrelated product or service. After you've spent a bit of time on CC you'll possibly find the ads are bike related when you visit other sites. :okay:

classic33

Leg End Member
How would that account for the Addison Lee advert? They've been mentioned on here a few times, but I've never searched them out.

Added in edit
Photo0017-1.jpg

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Adverts have a negative effect on me in that I will actively search for another company to buy 'stuff' from, same with 'flyers' that get posted through the letterbox.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Adverts have a negative effect on me in that I will actively search for another company to buy 'stuff' from, same with 'flyers' that get posted through the letterbox.
You might think that and you might even be one of the few to achieve it but statistically, even the people annoyed by an advert are more likely to buy the product because they remember the name long after the annoyance has faded.

@ozboz - install a privacy plugin that blocks Google analytics if you want to stop being quite so exploited by advertising.

classic33

Leg End Member
You might think that and you might even be one of the few to achieve it but statistically, even the people annoyed by an advert are more likely to buy the product because they remember the name long after the annoyance has faded.

@ozboz - install a privacy plugin that blocks Google analytics if you want to stop being quite so exploited by advertising.
No interest in schools in Hampshire, or anywhere else for that matter. Or in WWE.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
View attachment 386952 This screenshot of my phone ,
The ad banner is a Tile supply company , as you can see , ten minutes before I logged onto CC I was searching on line for some tiling accessories for my job , I've never seen a tile mob advert on CC before , so how come my google shearch is extended to the CC forum with no prompting from me on the
CC forum ?

I haven’t had this happen to me yet on CC but I’m sure it will catch up eventually. I do experience these ads on another forum. I don’t like that this can happen but comfort myself a little in the knowledge all the money spent is completely wasted.

Two reasons for this. Firstly the banner ads washover me completely, I literally don’t see them except in one circumstance. This is the second reason the money is wasted. I’ve noticed the only time I am aware of the ads is AFTER I’ve made the purchase. For example in May I spent hours researching cars and weeks later regularly got ads for cars.

Sadly we all pay for the advertising through the retail price. I have a policy of never clicking links I didn’t search for, one way of avoiding dodgy stuff.

Just checked the other forum and currently I’m being shown financial services and dresses. I’ve been looking at my pension options recently and searching for a “dupatta” for my wife’s Christmas.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru

How would I install a privacy plug in ? , I only use my iPhone is it possible to do this ?
If it's to long winded I'll have a mull around , may use bing instead !

I once used a football related website that began having ads , they were random sort of ' cold knocks ' on that site you could opt out of the ads if you so wished , the ' owner' did appeal to us to opt in , to help with the money end of things , which did not seem a problem , I eventually gave up on that site, it got to the point whereas there ware ads popping up between every 7-10 lines of text and the opt out disappeared , so I gave it away ,

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
How would I install a privacy plug in ? , I only use my iPhone is it possible to do this ?
If it's to long winded I'll have a mull around , may use bing instead !
I don't know but I wonder if @Markymark does.

Switching to Bing may help (duckduckgo.com even more, probably) but won't eliminate it because as mentioned above, lots of websites use Google analytics on their pages, not only Google the search engine.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Totally normal in this day and age. I had been searching for headphones on Amazon the other day, then next time I logged in to Facebook I had a load of headphone suggestions. We have to remember that we use all of these services for free, but the price we pay for free stuff is targeted advertising. I don't disagree with it really, you can always not click on it. when the day comes that I'm actually taken to an ad page that I didn't click on, it will be a different story.

Top Bottom