So , how does this work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
It is when you get the" will writing services", and "undertakers", when there is a mention of a death in a thread. I have never looked for either, so it must also be something to do with the thread content. - Not sure I like it at all, another reason not to visit CC as much

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It is when you get the" will writing services", and "undertakers", when there is a mention of a death in a thread. I have never looked for either, so it must also be something to do with the thread content. - Not sure I like it at all, another reason not to visit CC as much
That reminds me... @Shaun - can you disable the ads from "Rider down" threads, please? They're a bit tasteless.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
I'm not against the ads , especially if they are cycling related , I do not blame @Shaun for recouping out lay etc , but as @cisamcgu has pointed out , not nice for Ambulance chasers of any sort when a fellow cyclist has hit the deck ,
I have switched to Bing , the ads still there , ,
Anyway I am not a 'dodgy' web user so no problem in a way ,

Andrew_P

In between here and there
The ads are a recent addition to help generate revenue to fund CC's future development.

What's probably happening is that a lot of the sites you visit are using Google's free site statistics service - Google Analytics - which tracks visitors so site owners can see all kinds of metrics about users on their sites, where they go, number per day, etc. and view trends and results of changes.

Google then gets to share in this info and can see where you've recently visited (based on a number of factors, including your browser type, device type, IP address, ISP network, etc.). It will then use this info to select from a pool of advertisers who will be bidding on ad slots that are related to what you've been looking at - the idea being that you will likely be more interested in something you've recently looked at than a random advert for some unrelated product or service. After you've spent a bit of time on CC you'll possibly find the ads are bike related when you visit other sites. :okay:
Could I ask if CC is recording my metrics? Both on site and where I go for a few clicks after? Or where I am arriving from? I have felt that in the last 6/7 months advertising away from CC seems to have ramped up and it is very similar to the advertising I see on CC when logged out. Are the advertisers that bid for CC allowed to read my (I Assume) browsing cookies put there from ecommerce sites or my Google search history and then use them on other sites as well? Curious in general to be honest, as for the first time in many years of being on the internet the advertising away from CC is really irritating me so much that I am looking at Ad-Blockers.

For instance I click a favourite link to Amazon when I leave CC, I am aware of CC re-writing some links to include your affiliate, doe that affect my address if I click my own favourite link, would it add CC affiliate to it?

Shaun

Founder
For instance I click a favourite link to Amazon when I leave CC, I am aware of CC re-writing some links to include your affiliate, doe that affect my address if I click my own favourite link, would it add CC affiliate to it?
No, your bookmark will take you to whatever URL it is set to without adding CC as the referrer. :okay:

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
If the ads are based on previous browser history, there is a reasonable possibility that I will be getting a Suunto watch for Christmas. Do I subtly tell the wife that I have no need/want for another watch, so that she could return if already purchased?

Its either a watch or ladies underwear from Very....... :eek:

Last edited:

xzenonuk

Veteran
the only ads i see are a small one at the top and one on the right, and they always have things i have clicked on go google im getting desk chair ads now but im sitting in a new one, google needs to up their game :tongue:

Tin Pot

Guru
Cookies

Tin Pot

Guru
Maryland ? :hungry: :mrpig:

Cookies monitor everything you do and share that with any website you visit*. That means you get ads displayed based on your browsing activity.

It can be funny** in that you can manipulate it so that very inappropriate ads are shown whilst viewing very conservative websites.

Do Maryland do that?

*Well, not quite.
**Well, not really.

xzenonuk

Veteran
I don't know much about these things, bit wouldn't an incognito browser overcome targeted ads?

my pc is clean of such things, i also use a seperate browser for naughty things on a tablet, not had any thing come up yet on firefox or chrome, cough hint dolphin set to delete every thing when you exit it cough :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
my pc is clean of such things, i also use a seperate browser for naughty things on a tablet, not had any thing come up yet on firefox or chrome, cough hint dolphin set to delete every thing when you exit it cough :smile:
Dolphin?

Top Bottom