So how many recumbent riders have we?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have an Adventure HD with derailleur gears. I would like one with hub gears for Forestry tracks as the rear mech is vulnerably with the 20 inch rear wheel. There are potentially suitable ones for sale used but buyer to collect. Unfortunately mostly a journey of several hundred miles each way and at least 4 or 5 days.

BigT

Regular
I started with a pair of brand-new, 2005 ActionBent Tadpole trikes, but my GF of the time never took to them, so I sold them 8 months later for what I paid (minus shipping) and bought a new-to-me, 2000 Street Machine. I went on to ride that bike for the next 15 years.
I loved everything about the SM except the chain tube noise. I HATED that with a burning, seething passion!
I tried everything to make it better: Different tube materials, chains, lubes, no tubes, modified tubes, different idlers. Nothing worked.

A few years ago I bought a 2009 Bacchetta Giro-26 from my local non-profit LBS, but quickly found the "Heel Strike" potential too much for my comfort zone, and had a pair of 20" wheels built around my original hubs. Now it's a twitchy little beast, gives a bumpy ride (though possibly no bumpier than when it was a G-26) and has lost some of its top speed. And that's OK with me, as I have no desire to go 30mph on my local, and often crowded, multi-use path (MUP).

BigT

Regular
I don't have a garage. That's a big reason why I whittled down my collection from 3 bikes to just one. :tongue:

GrandadPig

Regular
I rode an Anthrotech trike twenty years ago and have just bought another. Not ridden it yet, giving my thighs time to get used to the idea first, and fixing the trike up. New chain, lights and stuff and waiting for mudguards to arrive from the Netherlands.
Live in a flattish part of Suffolk UK, which is just as well 😊👍

Godzilla

Regular
Chiming in... I have a 2009 WheelWiz TerraTrike Cruiser (recumbent tadpole) with 27 gears originally, and now with a 3 speed compound rear hub for a total of 81 gears. Top speed so far 29mph. Yee haw.

Hi,

I am riding a Greenspeed Magnum BW (big-wheel) at the moment. I have regeared it with 50 teeth on the largest cassette chainring and 22 on the smallest front crank chainring. I still thing I need a lower lowest gear for some of the bigger hills.

I also have a HPV Gekko and Catrike Villager that my partner and I ride together. They both have Bafang 250w eAssist. I am currently tweeking the crank chainrings to make them easier to ride without power.

Just dragged my HPV Streetmachine GT, old model, out from the undercroft. Pumped the tyres up, moved the boom out to the right length and attached the seat. Lost a washer and couldn't find one since moving house earlier this year but I hope it's OK and won't damage the n seat.

When I last used it commuting then family touring holiday I didn't have the boom long enough as I only Realised too late to get a longer chain on. So I now need to replace the chain so it'll change cleanly. Too busy to sort it myself so I'm going to a local bike mechanic. He'll do a better job and I'll appreciate an expert's view on it.

I need to sort out lights and bottle cages. I have a cage on the front derailleur stub, the only easy bolt attachment point on my bike model. It is also the best place to attach lights as well. I need better lights. B and m top light on the rack isn't impressing me. I have a seat post light I want to find a way to attach if I can.

I hope to get out on it very soon. Then I need to get my recumbent legs back,

a.twiddler

Veteran
Just dragged my HPV Streetmachine GT, old model, out from the undercroft. Pumped the tyres up, moved the boom out to the right length and attached the seat. Lost a washer and couldn't find one since moving house earlier this year but I hope it's OK and won't damage the n seat.

When I last used it commuting then family touring holiday I didn't have the boom long enough as I only Realised too late to get a longer chain on. So I now need to replace the chain so it'll change cleanly. Too busy to sort it myself so I'm going to a local bike mechanic. He'll do a better job and I'll appreciate an expert's view on it.

I need to sort out lights and bottle cages. I have a cage on the front derailleur stub, the only easy bolt attachment point on my bike model. It is also the best place to attach lights as well. I need better lights. B and m top light on the rack isn't impressing me. I have a seat post light I want to find a way to attach if I can.

I hope to get out on it very soon. Then I need to get my recumbent legs back,
Excellent. You need to get it on the road. There are bound to be a few niggles, but be persistent. If my experience counts for anything, it'll be worth it in the end.

At least I know it's a good bike. I bought it from a guy who knows how to maintain bikes, for whom bike maintenance is a hobby not a chore like I am. I had it and rode it for about 8 months then archived it. That's maybe 3 years ago. There's flat tyres obviously, a shortened boom for moving house which means gears and chain need sorting and there's one rusted pedal bolt. The pedal is basic cage pedal. I might get clipless/flat touring pedals to replace. I've not gone clippers on any bike so I need to try them out on my upright before the bent. I also need to learn bent riding again. It'll be fun!

Godzilla

Regular
Chiming in... I have a 2009 WheelWiz TerraTrike Cruiser (recumbent tadpole) with 27 gears originally, and now with a 3 speed compound rear hub for a total of 81 gears. Top speed so far 29mph. Yee haw.
Well, a lot has happened since Oct 2021. In November 2021 my wife decided to join me with a TerraTrike Rambler, used, but in Mint condition. While it was in the shop for fitting and tune-up, she bought me a 2021/22 WheelWiz TerraTrike "Greenspeed Magnum XL in Fossil Grey". It is huge, but so am I. LOL. I just added some Midsole MTB STD Cleated Shoes that are in the mail. It is good.

View: https://business.facebook.com/greenspeedtrikes/photos/a.359001480957666/1806248626232937/?type=3&theater

Attachments

• Greenspeed Magnum XL Fossil Grey Flat photo-op 12-2021.jpg
    Greenspeed Magnum XL Fossil Grey Flat photo-op 12-2021.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 9
Top Bottom