So I am ressurecting this ugly thing...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Last year I took a punt on a frame on eBay, with the view to building a road bike. I have since changed the frame and wheels and due to accumulating various bits 'n' bobs, I have a lot of spare gear knocking around. With winter fast approaching and my road bike needing some work (BB shot and crank splines stripped, so I can't get the BB out), I thought it might be an idea to utilise the frame and wheels (freehub is a bit fubar'd but that's another story). It might not be pretty but hopefully it will do the job...

Picture007-1.jpg

Now I need to get some drivetrain. Which is where it get's tricky, as the frame was originally designed for a flat bar road bike and has caliper brake fixings. That's fine because I have spare calipers, as per the pic. Now - I will probably want road gearing and the rear wheel is Campag, so want to stick with Campag cassette or a Miche one. I believe there is some level of compatibility with rear mechs being able to work with Shimano or Campag sprockets but am guessing I would need to mess with spacing in the cassette, if using a Shimano rear mech. Also the question of flat bar brake levers versus caliper brakes, again led to believe that it would work in a fashion although they will pull more cable, but could I just adjust the brakes (slackest setting) to compensate? Of course if I want road gearing not sure how I am going to get shifters for a flat bar bike....

Have already considered putting bullhorns on it, thus allowing me to stick with pure road shifters, if mounted on the bar ends.

Oh btw - I mentioned the freehub is dodgy, so may very well end up replacing the back wheel, in which case this would/could remove the Shimano / Campag cassette / mech issues raised earlier. If I do this I am going to take the plunge into wheelbuilding and make my own! Rigida rim probably and a 32 or 36 hole hub (I am no lightweight).

Grrr, this could be confusing and costly. Can't really afford to splash out much on this so might have to get creative. Any ideas or input will be gladly received :biggrin:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Given that the freehub is dodgy, I'd forget any ideas about using Campag. Get a Shimano-type rear wheel and cassette, some cheap shifters (gripshifters or SunRace rapidfire copies) and job's a good 'un. My LBS has cheap shifters.
I can vouch that gripshifters will work a road front mech on a double or compact - not sure about a triple.
And if you get flat bar levers for cantis (NOT V-brakes!!) they work road brakes fine.
In fact - for drive train simplicity / cheapness, go SS or just have a rear mech.
I found 12-32 and a 39 single ring gave me a perfectly usable spread of gears.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Thanks Doc :thumbsup:

The idea of a single chainring does actually appeal to me and I'm not sure why I didn't consider it myself. Regarding gripshifters, I do have some on a rusting old MTB that I tried to rebuild a couple of years ago but dumped out the back when I couldnt get the BB completely out of the shell. It has brakes lever too but they are V type. I know the bike hasn't been touched for about almost 2 years and is probably covered in spiders and pigeon poo :wacko: I will have to take a look in a bit.

Cheers,
SD

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Update:

I now have a bag of loot from the weathered MTB :biggrin:
Complete with rust, grime and cobwebs! Pictures to follow, on the morrow.

PpPete

Legendary Member
......the rear wheel is Campag, so want to stick with Campag cassette or a Miche one. I believe there is some level of compatibility with rear mechs being able to work with Shimano or Campag sprockets but am guessing I would need to mess with spacing in the cassette, if using a Shimano rear mech.

Campag freehub will only take a Campag design cassette. You can use a Shimano rear mech and shifters on that but may not be able access all the sprockets...details of what works & what doesnt is on this page.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
If this is for a workhorse Winter hack then the single chainring is a good idea, a 1x9 or 1x8 would do fine. If you've got a RD off the MTB then you can run a wide range cassette if need be. Single chainset ST55 from Spa for £20, the RD will work with flat bar or road shifters. I like the idea of drops or bullhorns with a bar end shifter. I'd also go with a new rear wheel, or wheelset, again Spa have some good deals and the Rigida rims are excellent value, Tiagra on your choice of rims for £129 a pair. The rim would be dictated by tyre clearances.

Any idea how much you can spend, apart from as little as possible?

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Less than 100 English pounds :laugh:

I think I can source the parts to build a rear wheel with Shimano hub for around £50. RD I have - it's ropey as hell and has spent about 5 years out of the 6 sitting outside gathering rust. Still, I will give it a good once over etc and can always get a rear mech for a fairly small amount anyway. I'm going to have a good clean up and look at the stuff I salvaged from the rusty MTB. I think I might be able to keep the rear mech and rear gripshift. Chainrings and brakes are probably fit for the bin.

Will have to think about working out what size chainring to source, if going for a single ring too. Something in the low forties is probably about right.

Will take a butchers at Spa/Parkers for cassette, spokes, hub and rim!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Low 40s or high 30s should be fine. 39-12 was higher than I needed, but I do have a tendency to spin.
I top out at about 150 rpm...

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
150 :eek:

I took a look at Sheldon's calculator and think 42t with something like 12-28 will be just right.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
My normal cadence is more like 100 - 110 or so, I don't pedal at 150 rpm all the time.
12-28 on a 42 sounds perfect. Are we talking 7,8,9 speed or what?

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Well that's the thing. The salvaged rear mech and shifter is a whopping 6 speed :tongue:
Might be enough for commuting and I have seen a Shimano 7 speed cassette that might fit the bill. Would just adjust the shifting to cover the 6 lowest gears of the 7, I think.

Gave the mech and gripshift a bit of a clean last night and attached them for now.

Picture008-1.jpg

Picture009-1.jpg

Of course, I can't go much further until I build or source a shimano compatible back wheel. Also need to get a BB, brake levers and new cables. Oh, and a seatpost and saddle might also be a good idea :whistle:

al78

Guru
Are you planning to use this as an all weather utility bike? If so, have you considered a hub gear?

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hi Al

Yes and yes :smile: Don't know much about hub gears, so I pretty much discounted it without any investigation. A hub gear would be heavier and more expensive?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Hi Al

Yes and yes :smile: Don't know much about hub gears, so I pretty much discounted it without any investigation. A hub gear would be heavier and more expensive?

SD, do you still have that old SA AW hub, 3 speeds would do you and just use the old derailler as a tensioner. I've got my 3 speed set up with a 2:1 ratio so I get 40/54/72 gear inches, rarely use the 40. I find the 54 will get me up anything around here and I can cruise around 13mph in traffic with it. The 72 takes me up to about 18mph for cruising, I can get it up to 27mph on the flat, but it aint comfy.

Top Bottom